Dark cycle users.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
[QUOTE 5185397, member: 9609"]he probably seen you early and hung back - pretty useful in yourself getting seen are those rear fog lamps.[/QUOTE]
These trucks, do they ever shed their loads?

Slick

Guru
These trucks, do they ever shed their loads?
It happens. Last one by me lost it's drag when the king pin snapped.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A bit of a potential legal conundrum t’other night.
I was driving through Bedford, at about 23:45, and aspied a hoody wearing cyclist with no lights on. Heading towards him/her was a female cyclist, with a decent front light, on the wrong side of the road.
As cyclists are never wrong, who is at fault in this scenario if they had had a head on crash?

:boxing:

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
A bit of a potential legal conundrum t’other night.
I was driving through Bedford, at about 23:45, and aspired a hoody wearing cyclist with no lights on. Heading towards him/her was a female cyclist, with a decent front light, on the wrong side of the road.
As cyclists are never wrong, who is at fault in this scenario if they had had a head on crash?

:boxing:
We're allocated sides of the road for a reason.

I wish we had the ARA rules of rowing applied on the roads. While there are quite stringent rules about where you should be and giving way and looking out, but if there is a collision, it is everyone involved's fault.

They take safety seriously, and make it everyone's responsibility because they know if something goes wrong it can quickly end in tragedy, unlike on the roads where .... yeah ..... I don't know what the difference is.

winjim

Smash the cistern
God, obvs.

More seriously, I'd say the wrong-way rider 80%/the ninja 20%. The wrong-way was doing the dafter movement and had a headlight that could have illuminated the ninja.
I think riding in the left is a should, while being properly lit is a must isn't it?

Did they collide? I expect not.

[QUOTE 5185389, member: 9609"]why should they ? is it not up to you to see them ?[/QUOTE]
We have been talking about cyclists who we can see. This post is about cars that literally can't be seen. Do you not <ahem> see the difference?

winjim

Smash the cistern
It happens. Last one by me lost it's drag when the king pin snapped.
But every part of the truck and its shed load was lit by a fog light, right?

Stop me if you can see where I'm going with this one...

We have been talking about cyclists who we can see. This post is about cars that literally can't be seen. Do you not <ahem> see the difference?
Important bit was contained within the second paragraph of my post.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think riding in the left is a should, while being properly lit is a must isn't it?
That's true, but the highway code is often incomplete and sometimes wrong. Like I think the only rule explicitly telling you to avoid a collision is the one on amber lights but people who cause collisions are still condemned.

Keeping left should be a MUST, as it's required by the Highways Act 1835 s78, which is one of only two sections still in force. By comparison, the current bike lights have only been required for about 80 years IIRC.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Keeping left should be a MUST, as it's required by the Highways Act 1835 s78, which is one of only two sections still in force. By comparison, the current bike lights have only been required for about 80 years IIRC.
Does a bike count as a 'waggon, cart or carriage'?

Top Bottom