Dark cycle users.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So we are required to drive at a speed that enables us to stop if the youth purposefully swerves in front of us, or the pedestrian on the phone steps out immediately in front of us without looking - or a deer leaps out from the hedge just in front of you? - it's just not possible, or realistic. The only truely safe speed will be no speed.
And yet, it's highway code rule 126...

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
So we are required to drive at a speed that enables us to stop if the youth purposefully swerves in front of us, or the pedestrian on the phone steps out immediately in front of us without looking - or a deer leaps out from the hedge just in front of you? - it's just not possible, or realistic. The only truely safe speed will be no speed.

Or remove motorised vehicles from those locations.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes - victim-blaming is precisely what you are doing. It doesn't matter how much someone annoys you, or what your opinion is of them (although, as an aside, you appear to have an extremely jaundiced view of 'kids') - it's not OK to hit them with a car. End of. The person bringing the danger to the situation is the person responsible - spare us the sob story about how bad they feel when they fail to take responsibility.

You've missed the point completely. Firstly I don't hate "kids"; I've got a 19 year-old son and I meet many of his pals who I think are a good deal more caring and socially responsible than we were as teenagers. Secondly, I'm certainly not suggesting that it's OK to hit a swerving yob with a car, that's ridiculous. I have been driving cars, trucks, vans, motorbikes and minibuses in the UK and Europe for 45 years and have never had an accident so I think I can claim to be a safe and experienced driver.

What really gets up my nose is the cocky insouciance of yobs who dash or swerve a cross the road in front of drivers knowing those drivers will do everything possible to avoid hitting them, in other words forcing drivers to take evasive action. It says in the Highway Code that road users should not force others to change their course or speed in evasive action, so what they do is not only against the law, it's also extremely stupid because one night they will miscalculate and will be hit by a car - and we all know who will be blamed for that.

There is a road in Preston called New Hall Lane, which is the route we have to use when driving to the station. For almost its entire length it passes through a densely populated area with many takeaways and shops on both sides so there are always cars manouvering and pedestrians crossing. This is the worst mile of road I know for kids on bikes, dressed in black, who race up the pavements, swerve into the road and dash across in front of cars so naturally I am even more cautious than usual when driving along that stretch. Drive into Manchester or any other big city and you will see commuters taking the same risks and daring drivers to hit them.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Honestly, one day I'll tell you all my hi vis anecdote. It's a cracker.

Which one?

crackers_neon_hedgehogshop_large.jpg

winjim

Smash the cistern
I hope that, in the interests of health and safety, they have also removed any explosive materials and small toys which may constitute a choking hazard.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
[QUOTE 5185270, member: 21629"]So drivers don't see a cyclist in dark clothing and no lights at night but somehow they see houses, trees, bushes, hedges, roads, fences, bus stops and drivers don't hit them.[/QUOTE]
The hedges, fences, and bus stops aren't usually darting around and crossing in front of you suddenly with no warning. People who are arguing that drivers see potholes: potholes are stationary! A pothole isn't going to be not there one moment and then there the next. I have had ninja cyclists come out of side streets dashing into my path with no warning, if they'd had a light I would have at least seen them running up to and disregarding that stop sign so you can look out for where they are going. Someone going faster or without as quick a reaction time (or maybe with a larger vehicle that takes a few more feet to stop) could have killed them.

Top Bottom