Dark cycle users.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
YukonBoy are you seriously suggesting we remove all motor vehicles from all roads?

No only for some roads to which they are ill suited. But you knew that. Motor vehicles are already banned from some highways. We just need to expand that as appropriate.

winjim

Smash the cistern
ITYM like cockwombles, more than willy-nilly.
I must admit that my car is currently parked on the right hand side of the road. However the wording is 'against the flow of traffic' and I live in a cul-de-sac so there is no traffic flow to speak of. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I must admit that my car is currently parked on the right hand side of the road. However the wording is 'against the flow of traffic' and I live in a cul-de-sac so there is no traffic flow to speak of. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
Buy or rent space to store your car, you freeloader ;)

bladesman73

Über Member
Just read the opening post and trying to determine if it is a pisstake or not..please someone tell me it is..please :laugh:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Buy or rent space to store your car, you freeloader ;)
I've got the space, just not the time to get it into a decent state of repair. Once I do start using it, those people who keep parking across the dropped kerb are going to have to find somewhere else for their van...

Not lane change. Have you seriously not seen kids riding bikes down the middle of the road swerving back and forth purposefully playing 'chicken' with cars before? Happens here all the time.
Yes, I've seen it. The question is not the behaviour, but what law they are breaking (if any). I'm pretty sure that you won't find the phrases "swerving back and forth" and "playing 'chicken'" enshrined in UK law. The rules will be about lane discipline and giving way. Those will be the rules they are breaking.

And can we separate the ninja cyclists from the swervy? A cyclist who suddenly changes direction into harms way is in danger even at noon or covered with monkeylectric.

mjr

...enshrined in UK law. The rules will be about lane discipline and giving way. Those will be the rules they are breaking.
Just a small reminder that the law and highway code rules are mostly slightly different things, which is often fortunate when you look at some of the cycling ones...

Here, granny, this is how you suck an egg!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
There is a road in Preston called New Hall Lane, which is the route we have to use when driving to the station. For almost its entire length it passes through a densely populated area with many takeaways and shops on both sides so there are always cars manouvering and pedestrians crossing. This is the worst mile of road I know for kids on bikes, dressed in black, who race up the pavements, swerve into the road and dash across in front of cars so naturally I am even more cautious than usual when driving along that stretch. Drive into Manchester or any other big city and you will see commuters taking the same risks and daring drivers to hit them.

Sounds as if the people in this area are doing a pretty good job of reclaiming the street as social space and resisting the entitlement of drivers to treat their community as a rat-run. Is there actually anything more to your issue than being narked at having to slow down and take more care? Other than the very thinly veiled contempt towards the people who inhabit the area you 'have to' drive through, of course.

mjr

I do think that, at least in urban areas, the priority system should be changed so that the entire length of the road functions like a zebra crossing.
Is that actually change of theoretical priority or merely enforcement and driver/public/court attitude? I thought it already was that walkers have priority over everything except wild animals in theory - it's just that you'd have to be brave or foolhardy to take it in practice when faced with a typical motorist.

What a barmy comment! It's common sense and COURTESY apart from anything else. Honestly, people on this forum are so desperate to demonstrate their impeccable PC credentials.... next you'll be asking me for a peer-reviewed study.

*wanders off shaking head in despair*

6b85347c9d6c473ec32899fe8fc3704b.jpg

Top Bottom