Dark cycle users.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The hedges, fences, and bus stops aren't usually darting around and crossing in front of you suddenly with no warning.
Cars in the UK can park on either side of the road, so it's common enough driving down an empty road for a car on your side of the road, unlit and facing you to "suddenly appear" if you aren't paying attention, because the front of are car isn't festooned with reflectors, and they are often dirty or black or grey. Sober people generally can avoid them.

On the other hand, if a car - lit or not - suddenly jumped out in front of me, that would be a more likely to result in a collision.

winjim

Smash the cistern
What a barmy comment! It's common sense and COURTESY apart from anything else. Honestly, people on this forum are so desperate to demonstrate their impeccable PC credentials.... next you'll be asking me for a peer-reviewed study.

*wanders off shaking head in despair*
Just the section of the Highway Code you were referring to would be enough...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What a barmy comment! It's common sense and COURTESY apart from anything else. Honestly, people on this forum are so desperate to demonstrate their impeccable PC credentials.... next you'll be asking me for a peer-reviewed study.

And @Ian H debunks another person who claims their inventions are in the Highway Code... :laugh: toys completely out of pram!

There are of course plenty of places where you can legally cause another road user to change course or speed, including where you have priority/precedence/whatever. It's not "courtesy" to give way when you have priority - it's often confusing and sometimes hazardous, as the priority was often assigned for good reason.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur

I merely asked you to show me where the Highway Code rules you mentioned might be found. How is that 'barmy'?

The reason for my question was twofold: 1) I couldn't find it. 2) the idea that you should never cause anyone to 'change speed', as you claim the Code states, is a little unrealistic.

I'm not desperate to demonstrate anything, merely quietly contributing to the discussion.

I merely asked you to show me where the Highway Code rules you mentioned might be found. How is that 'barmy'?

The reason for my question was twofold: 1) I couldn't find it. 2) the idea that you should never cause anyone to 'change speed', as you claim the Code states, is a little unrealistic.

I'm not desperate to demonstrate anything, merely quietly contributing to the discussion.
Come on guys! We are not writing affidavits here. He described behaviour and said the HC said no, but he didn't use precise legal language to clarify he meant illegal on in the circumstances he was describing, and you think you have caught him out!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Come on guys! We are not writing affidavits here. He described behaviour and said the HC said no, but he didn't use precise legal language to clarify he meant illegal on in the circumstances he was describing, and you think you have caught him out!
Not caught out as such but he made an assertion and then got grumpy when asked for clarification. Which is quite funny.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Well, he was talking about them swerving across the road, which sounds like lane change to me.
Not lane change. Have you seriously not seen kids riding bikes down the middle of the road swerving back and forth purposefully playing 'chicken' with cars before? Happens here all the time.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Cars in the UK can park on either side of the road, so it's common enough driving down an empty road for a car on your side of the road, unlit and facing you to "suddenly appear" if you aren't paying attention, because the front of are car isn't festooned with reflectors, and they are often dirty or black or grey. Sober people generally can avoid them.

On the other hand, if a car - lit or not - suddenly jumped out in front of me, that would be a more likely to result in a collision.
We also park on both sides. Generally a car facing you parked is on the other lane, and does not cross in front of you when it starts but begins to drive in its direction in its lane. If it is turning in front of you then it should use its blinker and wait for you to pass as you have the right of way going straight.

winjim

Smash the cistern
We also park on both sides. Generally a car facing you parked is on the other lane, and does not cross in front of you when it starts but begins to drive in its direction in its lane. If it is turning in front of you then it should use its blinker and wait for you to pass as you have the right of way going straight.
Here in the UK we're only supposed to park on the left, but in reality everybody seems to park pretty much willy-nilly.

Top Bottom