Daughters bike too big?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
the size guides are a very basic guide. my youngest is 7 but is taller than a lot of the 9 year olds in year 4 . his mate Lissus is smaller than some of the kids in year 1. 2years ago i had loads of people on here telling me the bike i had bought for my daughter was too big she wouldn't like it wouldn't ride it. they were all wrong !

I can remember as a child the kids around us getting new bikes. Back then it was a huge investment for some parents, so to get value for money the child was expected 'to grow' into the bike.

To remedy the short leg problem blocks of wood were attached to the bike's pedals to take up the 5 inch space between foot and pedal.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I can remember as a child the kids around us getting new bikes. Back then it was a huge investment for some parents, so to get value for money the child was expected 'to grow' into the bike.

To remedy the short leg problem blocks of wood were attached to the bike's pedals to take up the 5 inch space between foot and pedal.

At six foot plus and the age of 44, I'm still waiting to grow into mine. To the OP, my daughter was growing like a weed at that age and indeed still is! Like has been said, she will be taller by summer but do check her reach on the brake levers.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I think you should have gone for a 20 " personally , imho shes too small for it .
My wife is 4 foot 7 " and rides a 24 " comfortably , my son whos 7 is small for age and fits a 16 " nicely .
Then again what do i know :smile:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Voice of slight dissent here: her raised knee looks uncomfortably high to me & its not at the total top of the crank (I know she's not racing or anything but still needs to feel comfy and smooth turning the pedals).

screenman

Legendary Member
Voice of slight dissent here: her raised knee looks uncomfortably high to me & its not at the total top of the crank (I know she's not racing or anything but still needs to feel comfy and smooth turning the pedals).

I agree, maybe the cranks a bit long. My boys at that age could not I expect touch the floor with both feet when sitting on the saddle.

Is it a standard saddle clamp?

If so the normal fitting has the rail at the top of the clamp.

Inverting the fitting do that the saddle rail is at the bottom will lower the saddle another inch

OP
OP
M

Markymark

Ok I think she can reach the brakes and reach the floor ok. My worry is that its too big a bike to handle.

We can't tell you. Let her ride it and you judge. Do the usual stuff of moving the brake levers in on the adjustment screw, rotating the handlebars so they are back more, if they allow it and moving the saddle forward. My own experience is, it won't be too big for long. If she simply can't manage it, keep it until she can and get a 2nd hand one off ebay for 12 months.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I like @Crackle idea to get a second hand one off eBay for the next year, my BIL picked up a secondhand Dawes Redtail (20 inch) for about £20 though he had to bid on a few until he was that lucky, and you wouldn't loose any money if you then put it back on a year later.

You show her with the handlebars straight, what if you turn the handlebars I think she will find it difficult to control it fully for now. Normally kids move up to 24inch from about year 4 though my niece will be a lot later and one of mine only did it in year 6.

U

User169

Think it probably depends how comfortable she is with the bike.

My 7 year old daughter rides a bike with 24" wheels and there's no way either foot can touch the floor when she's on the saddle. Doesn't seem to be too much of a problem though and she rides it nearly every day.

Top Bottom