Dawes Discovery 201 versus Ridgeback Comet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chief Broom

Veteran
I like the simplicity of these 2 bikes, no disk brakes or carbon forks to worry about and ideal for home maintenance, cheap too! So which is the best buy? I like the look of the comet over the discovery but the discovery has great reviews...hmmm.... Any advice much appreciated! ^_^

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Without minutely comparing specs I’d say say they are pretty evenly matched. Go with the colour you prefer. I assume both have a steel fork.
Be aware the tyres on both won’t be the best in puncture resistance so budget for swapping them out for Schwalbe Marathons unless you want to sat at the roadside.
The adjustable stem on the Dawes is worth having.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Just to add I notice the Dawes has the older quill type stem while the Ridgeback has a more modern threadless steerer with spacer rings and a top cap but that might be important to you.

1627411265655.png
Quill

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
The bike that first got me back into cycling was a Dawes Discovery so I have a bit of a soft spot for them :laugh: They look pretty similar though.
Thanks Mo1959 I think i may be leaning towards the Dawes, im getting an honest 'vibe' and a feeling they have integrity. The quill stem also is a plus. ^_^ Cheers CB

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Be aware the tyres on both won’t be the best in puncture resistance so budget for swapping them out for Schwalbe Marathons unless you want to sat at the roadside.
Ignore old grumpy pants! The stock tyres will be just fine and should be used until worn out. Punctures are not a massive issue in cycling, unless you run tyres underinflated (pinch punctures) or spend all day cycling through glass strewn under-passes. Just be prepared for the occasional unexpected deflation so you are happy to fix on the go if needed. :okay:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Just to add I notice the Dawes has the older quill type stem while the Ridgeback has a more modern threadless steerer with spacer rings and a top cap but that might be important to you.

Get the Dawes. Quill stems are a vastly superior engineering design than those dumb arse threadless bodge jobs.

Not a lot to go on with just two pics, no specs quoted apart from the quill/threadless thing.
Are they both steel?

I like adjustable stems (an old steel-framed quill Ridgeback of mine has one) though some sneer at them. Even a cheap adjustable stem will be £30 or so, maybe more these days.

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
Not a lot to go on with just two pics, no specs quoted apart from the quill/threadless thing.
Are they both steel?
Thanks for your reply Blue Hills, they are both aluminium with rim brakes, single chain ring. The Dawes has 8 gears the Comet 7. Not entirely certain but i think the Dawes has aluminium forks and the Comet has steel, oh and the Dawes is £100 or so cheaper! Review: Dawes Discovery 201 2020 | road.cc Ridgeback Comet | Hybrid Bikes | Freewheel | Ridgeback

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Blue Hills, they are both aluminium with rim brakes, single chain ring. The Dawes has 8 gears the Comet 7. Not entirely certain but i think the Dawes has aluminium forks and the Comet has steel, oh and the Dawes is £100 or so cheaper!
ah.
personally I'm not a fan of ally bikes.
If you are at all handy I'd look around for an old steel Discovery or Ridgeback.
Rim brakes fine - if they are not very good cantis you should be able to convert to Vs later.
Quill stems fine.

did you add those spec links later chief?
On looking at them I see that they are both single chainring.
What are you planning to use the bike for?
With the gearing they both have you might have issues with hills, particularly if carrying much.
(declaration - I'm old fashioned in that I favour triples, live in a decidedly hilly bit of london, often carry a lot)

OP
OP
Chief Broom

Chief Broom

Veteran
did you add those spec links later chief?
On looking at them I see that they are both single chainring.
What are you planning to use the bike for?
With the gearing they both have you might have issues with hills, particularly if carrying much.
(declaration - I'm old fashioned in that I favour triples, live in a decidedly hilly bit of london, often carry a lot)
Hi Blue Hills, yes I should have included more info on my original post!
Re what am i planning? Well its more of an evolution and see where it goes^_^ For certain i would like to ride to favourite wild life watching places and distance depends on my developing leg strength [im no spring chicken]. Im doing about 8-10m a day at the moment but can see in a few months this will get much better. Its not too hilly where i live [Brora] but not averse to hilly areas if im strong enough. Im choosing a single chain ring because i get hopelessly confused with anything more ie by the time ive selected the right gear i wouldve ground to a halt and fallen off ^_^ My riding is going to be unique to me and some days i may be walking farther than riding or perhaps taking the bike in a van and then riding from different locations. One thing that has surprised me is how much im enjoying it and look forward to each ride! ^_^

Top Bottom