Dawes Galaxy Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidi

Regular
Hi all, this is my first posting.
I have bought a Dawes Galaxy "Tour" off ebay, it is British racing green with Galaxy Tour on the cross bar.
Expecting delivery next week
My intention is to custom build it as tough no nonsense touring bike, avoiding anything high tech as it need to be fixable on the road.
Before going to that extent I was wondering about the frame, I cannot see any Reynold stickers at all.
Can anyone offer any advice as to the material type?
I am an experienced builder having just completed a Paul Donahue 531 bike and two electric conversions.
I will also be putting up for sale a Giant TCR Carbon custom built. complete with Campag Record group set and Neutron wheels some time soon.
But advise on the Dawes frame would be appreciated.
Thanks all.

carpenter

Über Member
I think that there has been a Galaxy since 1970's, photo or link to eBay post would be really helpful

edit: does it look like this one? https://glorydays.cc/shop/bikes-for-sale/dawes-galaxy/

OP
OP
D

Davidi

Regular
Cheers
That is indeed the one, but again no Reynolds label on that one as well.
I wonder why, it's a mystery at the moment.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi and :welcome: @Davidi from a fellow Dawes Galaxy Tour owner.

Looking closely at the details on your frame it looks to be what the stickers claim it is. Mine does have the Reynolds stickers on and it's 531ST. It's a great bike - eats the miles, handles well and gives a nice smooth ride.

I hope you'll really enjoy yours when it's built up.:okay:

OP
OP
D

Davidi

Regular
Hi and :welcome: @Davidi from a fellow Dawes Galaxy Tour owner.
View attachment 569583

Looking closely at the details on your frame it looks to be what the stickers claim it is. Mine does have the Reynolds stickers on and it's 531ST. It's a great bike - eats the miles, handles well and gives a nice smooth ride.

I hope you'll really enjoy yours when it's built up.:okay:
That looks a very nice example, love the colour scheme, are the forks 531ST too?
I heard a rumour that Dawes ran out of 531 decals, hence missing off some bikes :-)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
That looks a very nice example, love the colour scheme, are the forks 531ST too?
I heard a rumour that Dawes ran out of 531 decals, hence missing off some bikes :-)
Thanks.^_^

I can't be sure about the forks. They have a Reynolds sticker on but it's only a logo, not the tube type.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I got talking to the owner of one of these whilst drinking beer a couple of years ago, so was able to inspect it closely. The one I was looking at was a pinkish red colour but had the same style top tube decals and did have the Reynolds stickers in the usual places. I believe it was the 531ST tubeset from memory. They are quite possibly the very last British built lugged steel Dawes tourers made before it was all outsourced.
The owner was very happy with the way his one rode, and I have briefly ridden a slightly earlier canti braked Galaxy frame myself and found it agreeable.

Drago

Legendary Member
The world and his dog sell 531 stickers somit seems highly unlikely they ever ran out, particularly when the 531 was a key selling point for the model.

Galaxy's were available (and I think are available once again) with a cheaper cro-mo option (520?), not to be confused with the current Galaxy Cromo which is a separate model in its own right. These were vatiously named as Galaxy Plus, Super Galaxy, etc, depending on the year. They even did an aluminium in more recent years, but few bothered. Pretty sure from the pics thats not an alloy one youve bought.

If it is cromo you haven't been short changed. Mechanically is has similar properties to 531, is double butted, etc, its just the tubes may be made differently, ie, possibly seam welded instead of drawn, etc, and rewuires different 'welding' techmiques instead of brazing.

I guess you'll know more when it arrives, but the odds are it is 531 - the pictures aren't great but it looks like a lugged frame, which would make it 531 of some flavour. Good luck, and welcome to the team.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Davidi

Regular
The world and his dog sell 531 stickers somit seems highly unlikely they ever ran out, particularly when the 531 was a key selling point for the model.

Galaxy's were available (and I think are available once again) with a cheaper cro-mo option (520?), not to be confused with the current Galaxy Cromo which is a separate model in its own right. These were vatiously named as Galaxy Plus, Super Galaxy, etc, depending on the year. They even did an aluminium in more recent years, but few bothered. Pretty sure from the pics thats not an alloy one youve bought.

If it is cromo you haven't been short changed. Mechanically is has similar properties to 531, is double butted, etc, its just the tubes may be made differently, ie, possibly seam welded instead of drawn, etc, and rewuires different 'welding' techmiques instead of brazing.

I guess you'll know more when it arrives, but the odds are it is 531 - the pictures aren't great but it looks like a lugged frame, which would make it 531 of some flavour. Good luck, and welcome to the team.
Cheers arrived, frame all lugs construction, looked down seat tube an no sign of any seams. Fork ends are forged not stamped.
Overall the frame is spotless and a deep shade of metallic green.
Dawes confirmed a late 90's frame built from 531, so I will place some 531 decals on it for completeness, then the grand build, unsure if I will try to build it as near enough original spec or fit flat bars and thumb shifters.

Top Bottom