Dawes Red Feather Find.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
Once rubbed back you could just spray the fire damaged section with clear lacquer, that’s what I usually do with heavily patinated frames, it’s nice to preserve the history and originality, once painted it’s lost forever.

southcoast

Über Member
I think it is from 1962 as it has the earlier style enamelled head badge.

Yes could be, it was the colour and graphics that looked similar. Mind you it was a long time ago, about 5O years, memory can play tricks lol.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Personally, I would have just removed the chainset and rear brake and scrapped the frame. I have certain misgivings about constructions made with low melting point filler metals that have been involved in fires. What you don't know is if the heat was enough to cause any of the braze to melt and effect the structural integrity of the joints.
I doubt the steel itself was heat-treated so that should not be affected, other than by the resulting corrosion, but I would want to be pretty sure the head tube junctions and fork crown and dropouts were still sound before I would ride it.

I washed it off with ordinary soap and water and then smothered it with Lord Sheraton wood balsam and wrapped it up in a plastic bag overnight. I then let it dry off for a bit after removing it from the bag and then gave it a coat of boot polish. it had softened up which allowed me to cram some padding underneath to try to raise the sunken bits. I left that overnight and removed it today. It has regained some of its shape.
Good lord, you are good at this! What's the saddle frame look like?

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Personally, I would have just removed the chainset and rear brake and scrapped the frame. I have certain misgivings about constructions made with low melting point filler metals that have been involved in fires. What you don't know is if the heat was enough to cause any of the braze to melt and effect the structural integrity of the joints.
I doubt the steel itself was heat-treated so that should not be affected, other than by the resulting corrosion, but I would want to be pretty sure the head tube junctions and fork crown and dropouts were still sound before I would ride it.
I think it looks worse that it is. I will inspect it closely when I have cleaned it up properly . Things made of aluminium and lead have survived whereas plastic and rubber have melted and fuelled the fire. The front tyre and mudguard have been destroyed along with some of the cable outers. From what I can see at the moment is that the joints are still intact and that the fire caused the outer lacquer to burn and so affected the underneath layer as there is still some aluminium base colour in places .
I was talking to my brother about the find and he said that people often set light to rubbish there. It could be that the bike has been lying there for quite some time hidden in the brambles and was set light to in such a fire . It could have then remained there rusting from where the the fire had removed the paint until I discovered it . It is in it's initial stage of being cleaned at the moment so I will see what is revealed , but so far it doesn't look too bad .

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Good lord, you are good at this! What's the saddle frame look like?
I wouldn't go that far . I'm just experimenting at the moment . It looks a lot better than how it first appeared .
The frame is a bit rusty at the back but should clean up . The front is missing the missing the metal nose piece which is riveted to the leather and helps tension the saddle . I will have to find my other Ideale saddle and make a copy .

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Yes could be, it was the colour and graphics that looked similar. Mind you it was a long time ago, about 5O years, memory can play tricks lol.
Yes . I didn't recognize it at first . It is a fancy badge with actual glass enamel in and sharp, a small piece fell out . The dropouts are made for the smaller diameter spindles.
I thought that the Red Feather was only made for children as I hadn't seen any adverts for adults bikes.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Oh! The rear mudguard is fine . It is a High Porter Pursuit by Bantel.
I've never heard of them .

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I did a bit of cleaning up on the frame this morning . it was freezing cold despite the sunshine.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you're going to go for it, you might as well take the headbadge off, get it shotblasted and powder coat it. The paint is wrecked and it's just a waste of time and effort trying to reverse the fire damage. It's not just a bit of patina, it's major damage. Could make a nice bike if the frame is safe, but not in the state it's in now. Needs a total refurb and start from a refinished frame.

Gunk

Guru
If you're going to go for it, you might as well take the headbadge off, get it shotblasted and powder coat it. The paint is wrecked and it's just a waste of time and effort trying to reverse the fire damage. It's not just a bit of patina, it's major damage. Could make a nice bike if the frame is safe, but not in the state it's in now. Needs a total refurb and start from a refinished frame.

I disagree, I would lacquer it and keep it exactly as it is. The minute you paint it all that originality and history is lost.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I disagree, I would lacquer it and keep it exactly as it is. The minute you paint it all that originality and history is lost.

Normal wear & tear within limits, yes, give it a coat of lacquer and save what's left.
Serious fire damage or truly horrible paintwork? No, erase it from the object and start afresh with a blank canvas. Not all history is nice.

Top Bottom