Dawes Red Feather Find.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I had a steel stem stuck in a steel fork once (scrap frameset acquired for peanuts). I got the expander wedge to drop but the stem was utterly corroded in place. Penetrant left to soak, blowlamp, lots of leverage - nothing worked.

Gunk

Guru
I had a steel stem stuck in a steel fork once (scrap frameset acquired for peanuts). I got the expander wedge to drop but the stem was utterly corroded in place. Penetrant left to soak, blowlamp, lots of leverage - nothing worked.

Me too, I ended up scrapping the frame

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Here are some bits after a clean.

Attachments

• IMGP2753 (2).JPG
    IMGP2753 (2).JPG
    193.7 KB · Views: 6

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I'm amazed its come up so good, although I'd still rattle can respray if you can sort the headset issue out, there patina and then thee is fire damaged paint..... I wonder if the fire has melted something in the stem/ headset which is causing it to be wedged.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
The fire burnt half of the front tyre and completely destroyed the front mudguard and brake blocks. The brake cable outer covering was charred and burnt away in places. The heat hasn't affected the cables which are still springy. The front brake caliper in the photo is the front one after the smoke blackening had been cleaned off. It is now free to move .
Both wheel rims are very rusty, the rear hub is a LF Normandy one and is worth saving , the front one is a small steel one and is rusty .

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If it's an alloy stem, you can dissolve it out with caustic. You can also melt them out but this needs real care, as it's not much below the melting point of brazed joints.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Can you just use the stem bolt to smack out the expander ? Or have you tried that and not spotted it in your posts.
Yes I've done that but it won't budge. I think I need to mount it so that the fork crown takes the full impact instead of the forks. I have got some rust remover working from the top at the moment hopefully to attack the corrosion between the stem and the expander .

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Persistence pays off!
I've been working on it for days . The seized expander that is! I've hit the bolt with a hammer and all that I achieved was a dented bolt. I've sprayed it with penetrating oil and let it soak in . Hit it again and achieved a bent bolt. I sealed it up and poured caustic soda in . I drained it and put some rust removing liquid in and left it over night. Still no joy when I hit it. I was almost at the point of giving up!
Over the weekend I thought I would try some lime juice. Shhh! Don't tell the wife! I left it to soak overnight.
I shone a torch up inside to see what it was like inside. I could see the expander shining away like new, the treatment seemed to have had some effect. I put some more lime juice in and noticed that the level dropped! There was no sign of it leaking out so it must have worked its way past the expander. My spirits were lifting!
Today I thought That I would try a bit of heat . I drained out the lime juice and lit my butane torch and put it up inside from the bottom. I could feel the heat building up and when I thought it was hot enough I poured cold water up inside the steerer tube. I put the expander bolt back in and gave it a couple of heavy hits. Finally It shifted! The stem was next. A large piece of wood between the forks and a bar through the stem and it started to move.
Here are the results.

Last edited:
Top Bottom