Dawes Red Feather Find.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Thanks for all of your comments.
It was a huge relief getting the stem and forks to separate. My next plan of attack is to get it rideable. Some things like the brake calipers will need a good clean and lubricating. I will need to make a list of parts, cables , brake blocks, bearings, chain. So far cost wise I have only spent £11 on some rust removing gel and a bit of petrol .
I will borrow some parts like wheels and saddle from one of my other bikes . A good reason for having N+2, got to have a choice of wheel sizes . :whistle:.
I will have to file out the dropouts to accept a larger diameter axle as they are made for the smaller ones at the moment .
I have had a good look for signs of heat damage. From what I have been able to see from looking at the burnt parts the heat doesn't seem to have been too great. The brake and gear cables are still springy and so are the forks. They twanged well when I knocked them . The front wheel which suffered the most has under half of the tyre remaining as the fire had burnt through it, it still looks straight despite losing 4 spokes. I will be the test pilot so I will be able to see how the bike rides.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Today I thought I would try reassembling it so that I could give it a test ride.
It was only when I was taking this photo that I noticed that the cranks were out of alignment.
The other photo shows the effects of some rust removing treatment.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
You'd be happy with that saddle and brake set up then ?:whistle:

I'm struggling to see how the cranks can be out of line if its square taper, or is it some sort of splined arrangement?
It's not a square taper but cotter pinned .
I'll go and have another look to see if I've put the pins round the right way. I'm sure that they wouldn't fit the wrong way round but who knows what happened yesterday . I'll also check the flats on the axle .

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It's not a square taper but cotter pinned .
I'll go and have another look to see if I've put the pins round the right way. I'm sure that they wouldn't fit the wrong way round but who knows what happened yesterday . I'll also check the flats on the axle .
I thought i didn't look modern enough for splines, but square taper your'e either on or 90* out!!
Cotters fit in opposite directions
the bible according to Sheldon.....

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Sorted!
I had one pin round the wrong way . There was some hard goo inside the non drive side crank stopping it from going in the correct side. Once I had removed the hard grease it fitted .

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
May I ask a question? I am new to this "refurbishing bicycles". I noted your use of lemon juice. This is anew one on me, what are the possible uses of lemon juice?

My current problem is, I have a steel seat post stuck in a steel frame. Would lemon juice possibly help?

Thank you in advance.

Like the current project by the way. ;)

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
May I ask a question? I am new to this "refurbishing bicycles". I noted your use of lemon juice. This is anew one on me, what are the possible uses of lemon juice?

My current problem is, I have a steel seat post stuck in a steel frame. Would lemon juice possibly help?

Thank you in advance.

Like the current project by the way. ;)
Thanks ! I've used it on this project and other things . I use my wife's concentrated juice . I think on my stem it managed to break the corrosion seal between the expander and the stem .
You could try it on your seat post to see if it will have a similar effect to allow penetrating oil to work its way past . You could also try heating the seat post and then suddenly quenching it with cold water. The shock may also break the seal . Also you may need to try to spread the seat bolt clamp bracket with something like a flat bladed screwdriver .

I have used lime or lemon juice to clean rust spots off chrome and used it to clean the contacts on a cheap watch .

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Thanks ! I've used it on this project and other things . I use my wife's concentrated juice . I think on my stem it managed to break the corrosion seal between the expander and the stem .
You could try it on your seat post to see if it will have a similar effect to allow penetrating oil to work its way past . You could also try heating the seat post and then suddenly quenching it with cold water. The shock may also break the seal . Also you may need to try to spread the seat bolt clamp bracket with something like a flat bladed screwdriver .

I have used lime or lemon juice to clean rust spots off chrome and used it to clean the contacts on a cheap watch .

Thanks for that. Lemon Juice, a new tool! ;)

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Another well done @Illaveago from me. I have to be honest, I'd have probably given that one a pass with the pitted rust!

I did manage to find a completely free Raleigh Super Course once and have to say it was in pretty good condition :smile:

Top Bottom