Dawes Red Feather Find.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
I did a bit more cleaning today . It looks like there is rust broken out underneath the paint in quite a few areas . It looks like goose pimples underneath the paint on the crossbar, seat and chain stays, down tube and forks . There could be a way of limiting the amount of restoration but it would be a lot of work . The forks definitely need doing and does the head tube and most of the down tube . I wouldn't go for powder coating as I don't like it . I can spray so I will do it myself.
Removing the head badge will be a problem . It is held in with brass pins and the badge looks a bit fragile , they used vitreous enamel and some has broken away already .
I have put things on hold for now as the expander has seized in the handlebar stem, I have poured some oil down from both ends so I hope some will work its way down . It will give me a bit of time to think .
I have managed to clean up the Campag Gran Sport rear derailleur, the cranks are cleaning up and so are the pedals. The front brake caliper and gear levers have smoke stains which are cleaning up slowly .

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Oh dear re stem expander being seized let's hope it eventually frees up.

So full repaint then ?

weareHKR

There is something rather magical about this, with flaming torch head badge surviving the fire, it is going to be a true phoenix this one.
Yes... this would be the restoration of the year if you can bring it back to its former self.
Especially having the then, inbetween & now pictures, good luck with the project!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
IME leather saddles can be brought from "dry cardboard" back to "as new" provided they are not torn. Proofide and a LOT of miles (500 or more) will burnish one up and all the fine creases will just vanish, at the pressure points first. Don't attempt to retension one until it is proofided and this has had enough time to permeate right through. Tensioning a dried-out one will probably tear it apart.

OP
OP
Illaveago

Illaveago

Guru
Work has slowed down as the expander has seized in the stem . I have sprayed penetrating oil in from both sides and let it soak . What I need is a nice long piece of steel bar the diameter of the hole in the stem so that I can give it a real good clout .
I'm wondering if the bike could be earlier going by the style of head badge used .

Top Bottom