Dawes Ultra Galaxy question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

just jim

My employers are setting up a pilot Cycle to Work scheme which gives me the chance to spend a bit of wedge on a new machine. Before I proceed I just wanted any advice about Galaxy sizing, since the '07 and '08 Ultra G's have different geometries. My height is 175.5 cm (5ft 8") and me inseam is 70cm. Would it be a 57 or a 54cm frame for the '08 model? Watcha think?

Danny

Legendary Member
I think you need to go and try both sizes before you buy as you could be somewhere in the middle. I am not sure about the Cycle to Work scheme, but if at all possible you should buy from a good LBS who will make sure that the bike is properly set up for you.

Dawes seems to have progressively reduced their range of sizes over the years and having seriously considered getting a new Dawes I decided not to because I didn't feel their sizing was right for me.

I am sure that the Super Galaxy is still a great bike provided you can get one that properly fits you.

Chris James

Über Member
Whilst I think it would be a very good idea to try the bike, I would be very suprised if you would require a frame larger than the 54cm.

You say you have a 70cm inseam = 27.5 in. How is that measured? Is that trouser inside leg or to the floor?

For your info I have a 57cm Dawes Audax 2006. I am 5ft 11.5 in and have a 33.5 inch inside leg (to the ground)

OP
OP
just jim

just jim

That would be to the floor - the "Stand with your back against a wall, your bare feet 6" apart on a hard floor, looking straight ahead. Place a book or carpenter's square between your legs with one edge against the wall, and pull it up firmly into your crotch, simulating the pressure of your saddle while riding."
type of thing.

simoncc

As Dannyg says you do need to try the bikes out. Frame size is not the only consideration. You also need to consider your preferred riding position along with variables like top tube length and available stems.

One thing you have already made the right choice about is the bike. The Ultra Galaxy is a superb machine.

Plax

Guru
54cm frame might be better. I'm 5 ft 7" with a 32" inside leg. I have a 2007 Ultra Galaxy in a 52cm frame and it fits me fine. As others have said however, if you can test ride both sizes.

Top Bottom