Dead Badgers found whilst cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My bold - it's very common.

I used to work at the same Defra site that did the initial trial for the badger culling. One of the jobs that the badger team had was to go out and collect 'roadkill' badgers for post-mortem, I can't remember the exact numbers but far and away the vast majority had either been shot or poisoned and dumped in the road to try and hide the cause of death.

That's v interesting, it does beg the question, why are farmers chucking them in the road where they can easily be found.

Seems a bit of a dumb move.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I did once see a live badger. Middle of the afternoon on an autumn day (quite the wrong time of day for badgers) in some woodland. Walked round a bend in the path and there it was in front of us. It looked at us rather unconcerned and then bumbled off into the undergrowth.

I had one hiss at me aggressively from a hedgebank as I was walking up a green lane near here.

I had to shake my coat at it quite vigorously to get it to back off - I was really surprised.

Never heard of them going for people unless cornered.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I will occasionally bring deer back for the family freezer. (Aware of all the precautions before I get a bombardment of lectures.)

The last roe was a beautiful doe with minimal trauma. My oldest saw her on the way to school. I saw it and collected it on the way to my youngest daughter’s school. When my oldest got home she said, ‘I forgot to tell you there was a deer on the road, but when I came back from school it wasn’t there anymore so I didn’t bother.’

She had venison stew for supper that night.

When she worked it out she said, ‘I could have guessed you collected her. You are the only person in the village who feeds their children roadkill.’

Good clean, and free meat if you get it fresh.
If we ate more squirrels deer and rabbit, it would be easier for woodland to regenerate.

areyouactuallymoving

I had one hiss at me aggressively from a hedgebank as I was walking up a green lane near here.

I had to shake my coat at it quite vigorously to get it to back off - I was really surprised.

Never heard of them going for people unless cornered.

As you say badgers will not normally go for people, unless cornered. They have terrible eyesight and rely heavily on smell. Maybe it took against your cologne?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My cologne??

:rolleyes:

More likely it thort it could smell one of its own, after a long day of fieldwork :blush:
lip-tint-stick-opal-shimmer-badger-balm_271_300x400_crop_center.jpg

There's a guy lives near me eats roadkill almost exclusively.

The other day he was telling me about a nice big fresh one he had roasted with spuds and carrots ,lovely apparently.

Then he asked me "what do you think I should do with his bike?"

Apparently 40% of drivers consider badgers less than human......

I counted seven dead badgers and one dead fox along the A10 while driving to CamCats in Ware on Saturday.

Most roadkill I see is either too dead or too squashed to make it worth taking, although I've snagged the odd pheasant for the cats. We get a lot of dead pheasants around here, they have no road sense whatsoever.

Wouldn't mind to put some of the muntjacs around here into the crock pot, they're a PITA... My poor roses!

Top Bottom