Deep Heat, Is it useful for cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Can't remember the name of the "embro" off the top of my head, wasn't deep heat though.
Raljex?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Years ago always used Ellimans - mixture of Turpentine, vinegar and eggs (apparently!). Still available. But last bottle I bought seemed a lot tamer than it was in the late 1950/60s when I first used it. Love the smell.^_^

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Brings back the memory of rugby changing rooms
Definitely! That reek of Deep Heat, Ralgex and Sloan's Liniment. I have fond memories of us slathering our legs in Deep Heat before going out for training in winter so it fooled the brain into thinking your bare legs weren't freezing. :laugh:

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I found another great use for it today. 45 miles of freezing wet weather left my feet resembling ice blocks when i got home. No matter i did, i couldn't get them warmed up again. A quick spray of Deep Heat on them soon cured that. They also a dam sight better too👍😊

Globalti

Legendary Member
I do use ibuprofen gel on those odd aches and sprains and am always amazed when it seems to work. Can't get my head around how the molecule can penetrate the skin and get into the soft tissue.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I do use ibuprofen gel on those odd aches and sprains and am always amazed when it seems to work. Can't get my head around how the molecule can penetrate the skin and get into the soft tissue.
My Doctor told me "its OKish for problems near the surface..... any deeper and its useless".

Tom B

Guru
Deep Heat? Nah. Crack cocaine all the way.

With a side of phet to get you going?

I always thought it was Winter Green with it’s distinctive aroma for sport

My father used to use gallons of the stuff whipped up in a brown glass bottle by the local old fashioned chemist shop. Used to leave an oily film on the bath which drove my mother to the point of banishing him to showering with the hose in the garden.

God only knows what the old boy at the chemist put into it, moth balls and nuclear waste and would be my guess. It certainly had a warming effect if it got anywhere it shouldn't and cleaned out any grazes and cuts.

CXRAndy

Guru
Stiff neck and shooting pains down your arm points to trapped nerve in the cervical spine (neck)

I had similar issues which suddenly developed into a numb arm and loss of feeling in several fingers. A MRI scan confirmed enflamed C6 nerve caused by degenerative ageing of the cartilage. I eventually had a root nerve injection which has almost cured my symptoms.

I ride with a different head position, less looking up, more looking down but staring through my eyebrows- higher stack framed bike too

I have to be careful what position I sleep in. Long period fixed position causes my fingers to tingle-a warning Im nipping the nerve again.

Top Bottom