Defacing the national flag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have to say that seeing the St. George's Cross everywhere really annoys me, given that so many probably aren't genuine football fans and just get carried away with the patriotism bit. The World Cup to me is all about the united colours of football...not division and kneejerkers.

I think some people genuinely believe that by having an 'Ingerlund' flag they are sticking two fingers up to some imaginary 'politically correct' order that they perceive constrains them, too. All bullshit of course like the moaning about 'how it's alright to have a St. Patrick's night but not St George's.' Hmmm. Anything interesting in the Daily Mail today?

There are also quite a few who put the damn things up, World Cup or not and I personally believe they deserve a slap for behaving like chavs.

:ohmy:

on the road

Über Member
PaulB said:
I tell you what I cannot stand and that's to see the MASSIVE number of England flags flying all over the place to celebrate the team's participation in some football tournament or other. Now I would suggest that every English person knows exactly what their flag looks like and what it means. So why on earth do about half of them bear the word 'England' on the actual flag? Do they think we don't know who that flag represents?

There's worse though; some companies deface the flag even further by sticking on a corporate logo to somehow get on the back of the wave of patriotism by linking themselves with it. I've seen Umbro logos and the Nationwide financial organisation with their name on the England flag. Personally, I think it's an absolute disgrace; if you want to hoist the flag or fly it from your vehicle, do so but make sure it's the flag and the flag only. Not something to draw people's attention to who's flag it actually is or to promote some shylock organisation's attempt to cash in on the outbreak of fevered nationalism.
Take a chill pill :wacko:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
PaulB said:
I tell you what I cannot stand and that's to see the MASSIVE number of England flags flying all over the place to celebrate the team's participation in some football tournament or other. Now I would suggest that every English person knows exactly what their flag looks like and what it means. So why on earth do about half of them bear the word 'England' on the actual flag? Do they think we don't know who that flag represents?

There's worse though; some companies deface the flag even further by sticking on a corporate logo to somehow get on the back of the wave of patriotism by linking themselves with it. I've seen Umbro logos and the Nationwide financial organisation with their name on the England flag. Personally, I think it's an absolute disgrace; if you want to hoist the flag or fly it from your vehicle, do so but make sure it's the flag and the flag only. Not something to draw people's attention to who's flag it actually is or to promote some shylock organisation's attempt to cash in on the outbreak of fevered nationalism.

I wouldn't worry too much. The culprits are from Ingerlund. I've never been there but believe it is somewhere darn saaf. The only problem is they can't spell for themselves and so they have copied out the name of our country.

OP
OP
PaulB

PaulB

Legendary Member
Andy in Sig said:
I wouldn't worry too much. The culprits are from Ingerlund. I've never been there but believe it is somewhere darn saaf. The only problem is they can't spell for themselves and so they have copied out the name of our country.

I'm not worried, just :wacko: It's not from just up saarf either; it's also from dahn norf which is the halcyon piece of God's own heaven in which I live. There's thousands of the numpties up here. Or should it be down here?

lukesdad

Is that North Colne then....?:wacko:

All of which reminds me it'll be the 12th in a months time.. The bedecking of various villages in Blue White and Red to celebrate NI "cultural heritage" will soon start. Its like dogs pissing on lamp posts over here.. Where the Union flags end, the Tricolours start, to ensure no one is in any doubt about "ownership" of various streets/villages/towns. Its a bit like the Dr Strangelove film with a "flag gap".

I drove past our local duck/fishing pond this afternoon. 3 fishermen in attendance. 3 cars festooned with Union flags. At least 3 on each.

Is there a correlation?

i think you're fishing for a tenchuous link.

ChrisKH

Guru
Crikey I thought I was uptight about personalised number plates but I look fairly laid back compared to some of these posters.

It's just a flag and it doesn't harm anybody (apparently it works in defence of personalised number plates...........)

Car drivers with combined usage, however, should be shot at birth. :ohmy:

Top Bottom