Defacing the national flag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulB

Legendary Member
I tell you what I cannot stand and that's to see the MASSIVE number of England flags flying all over the place to celebrate the team's participation in some football tournament or other. Now I would suggest that every English person knows exactly what their flag looks like and what it means. So why on earth do about half of them bear the word 'England' on the actual flag? Do they think we don't know who that flag represents?

There's worse though; some companies deface the flag even further by sticking on a corporate logo to somehow get on the back of the wave of patriotism by linking themselves with it. I've seen Umbro logos and the Nationwide financial organisation with their name on the England flag. Personally, I think it's an absolute disgrace; if you want to hoist the flag or fly it from your vehicle, do so but make sure it's the flag and the flag only. Not something to draw people's attention to who's flag it actually is or to promote some shylock organisation's attempt to cash in on the outbreak of fevered nationalism.

Mark_Robson

I best take my Cycle Chat England flag down then. :wacko:

From 2006 - but equally true today...

Due to the nature of the quality of driving in England the Department of
Transport has now devised a new scheme in order to identify poor drivers
and give good drivers the opportunity to recognise them whilst driving.

For this reason as from the middle of May 2006 those drivers who are
found to be driving badly which includes:

-overtaking in dangerous places

-hovering within one inch of the car in front

-stopping sharply

-speeding in residential areas

-pulling out without indication

-performing U turns inappropriately in busy high streets

-undertaking on motorways

-taking up more than one lane in multi lane roads

These drivers will be issued with flags, white with a red cross,
signifying their inability to drive properly. These flags must be
clipped to a door of the car and be visible to all other drivers and
pedestrians. Those drivers who have shown particularly poor driving
skills will have to display a flag on each side of the car to indicate
their greater lack of skill and general lower intelligence mindset to
the general public.

Please circulate this to as many other motorists as you can so that
drivers and pedestrians will be aware of the meaning of these flags.

Department of Transport

lukesdad

I thought Umbro owned the england flag.They seem to own the three lions as I found out to my cost a couple of years ago.:wacko:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I really don't have any problem with people doing things to the England flag. I already exclusively associate it with pictures of football hooligans in foreign lands so I can't see how much further it can sink.

Norm

I drove past our local duck/fishing pond this afternoon. 3 fishermen in attendance. 3 cars festooned with Union flags. At least 3 on each.

Is there a correlation?
I noticed a bunch of them dressed out just the same way around the fishing lakes I rode past last Saturday.

Mark_Robson

Muddyfox said:
My french car is also a licensed Taxi ... apparently we're not allowed to put the flags on them for fear of offending other cultures Simon
That's where PC has gone mad. I have muslim friends who send me a Xmas card because it's the "done thing" in this country. Honestly 99.9% of Muslims wouldn't care less about flag adorned taxis.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
As the England flag's status has been diminished by its association with extremist political groups, its association with brainless numpties is hardly a diminution of a reputable 'brand'.

If folk are happy to spend squander their money on pointless tat then let them.

Top Bottom