degla meet up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dan_bo

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I should be, although my off road skills leave a little bit to be desired.:blush:
Just like my on road skills then.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OK, 'D' day is fast approaching. We need to decide the start time.

The suggestion of a 9am start and doing two laps has merit but I wouldn't want this to discourage half the interested riders if they thought it was too far or too early.

I'm possibly clinically insane so really fancy the double, now it has been suggested, but equally I am more than happy to be a bit more sociable and do a less challenging single loop. So if everyone can shout out their preferred choice now, we can try and come to some kind of common consensus and then start arranging transport.

We have a dog to walk prior to driving out there and according to the website the car park does not open until 9am which would make for a slightly difficult riding start time of 9am... Would a 9:30-9:45am ride start make more sense? That way if we can have a hello for 30 mins, go round of 1 loop and those that need to get back can work out if they want a 2nd look/have time for it or head off and those wanting a 2nd loop can stay on and do another loop...

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I have no real preference. An early start does seem to offer the best of both worlds as SatNav suggests.

Travel time for people on gods-own side of the pennines is like to be 2 hours + though - so that may influence some.

longers

Legendary Member
I'd thought of suggesting a second loop but not having been before I didn't know how realistic this is.

I'm dependant on Dan for a lift home so will have to see how we're doing for time on the day.

Other than that - great idea!

OP
OP
dan_bo

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
We have a dog to walk prior to driving out there and according to the website the car park does not open until 9am which would make for a slightly difficult riding start time of 9am... Would a 9:30-9:45am ride start make more sense? That way if we can have a hello for 30 mins, go round of 1 loop and those that need to get back can work out if they want a 2nd look/have time for it or head off and those wanting a 2nd loop can stay on and do another loop...

ah my apologies I thought it was open at 8.30. SNSSO is right-see you there for a 9.30 kick off and we can make our minds up as we go.

see you there folks.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Great, 9.30am start and one or two laps depending on conditions, hangover, weather and cake intake!

Can't wait. Just need to throw the roofrack on the car and whip the front brake pads out for a clean as they seemed a bit ineffective last time I rode the MTB.

Anyone want a lift? I have a mate coming with me but still have room for 2 more bikes/passengers from the East Manchester area.

Cubist

Still wavin'
As above, Cubester is playing a match for cadets and so I may not be able to make it. For what it's worth Degla red is 12km long, and is easily doable in less than two hours. It's strenuous inasmuch as you have a loooooooong climb up to the start of the fun, but after that its not particularly technical, flows well, and has a bit of woodwork to contend with. The last couple of Km have some great chutes and switchbacks, but berms and in-trail jumps are the order of the day. It's all rollable.

Folk say the blue is great fun but I've never ridden it, and the black has a couple of places to concentrate, and is mostly rollable drops and jumps, with a bit of woodwork that you can't avoid, but won't kill you, and a boardwalk with a drop in the middle that has a chicken run round it.

If I were to make a suggestion, it'd be a mass ride round the red, followed by a cake stop. Keen folk will easily manage a second lap, especially if its the blue, or of course there's always the skills section, berms, drops, steps, boardwalk, tabletops, rock gardens. Easily enough entertainment for a whole afternoon.

I'll do my best to be there, but don't count on me. I'll know by late tomorrow evening.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Is this still happening. Made the mistake of looking at the weather forecast for Llandegla......Trying to summarise in smilies :cold::rain::rain::rain::rain:and I can't find the one for 25 mph winds. :whistle:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Character building is the expression you are looking for, by the end of the second lap it will have made a man of you. Surely it can't be any worse than New Years day?

As far as I am concerned it is still on, I've fitted the 4 bike roofrack this morning when I got home from work and should have 1 mate/neighbour coming with me so if any one want's a lift I can pick them up within reason, room for 2 more :thumbsup: (@dan_bo and I suppose I could even stop off at Wilmslow if I had to!)

Top Bottom