1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Despicable' bike theft from paramedic in London

Discussion in 'Stolen Bikes' started by classic33, 13 Jul 2016.

Tags:
  1. Liz Su

Liz Su Senior Member

Doesnt take 10 seconds to put a lock around the back wheel/frame. He/she could have left the bike next to the casualty.
    People dont care, its not their bike so they wouldnt be bothered.

2. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Until they're told they can't send anyone because of what's happenned.
    Regardless of the nationality of the person who took it, the ambulance service is one bike down.

raleighnut and Drago like this.
  3. Mrs M

Mrs M Veteran

A real "low life".
    Even to thieves some items should be "no go".

raleighnut likes this.
  4. Drago

Drago Guru

Thieves have no conscience. That's why charity boxes are a favourite target.

5. Cunobelin

Cunobelin Legendary Member

Having tried to lock a bike in some London areas - there is nowhere

I attended a meeting, and used the opportunity to pick up a new trike.

I have two quality locks, but there was nowhere within some 500 m where I would be happy to lock it up

It took me some 10 minutes to find somewhere appropriate and walk back t the meeting

People die in that time frame

HLaB and Mrs M like this.
  6. Liz Su

Liz Su Senior Member

You dont seem to understand me, they dont need anywhere to lock it to. They could just lock it next to them so an opportunist doesnt cycle off on it.

7. Cunobelin

I am old, and I have standards, I have also worked with emergency services in various forms for 40 years

I can remember the times when an Ambulance or Medic was "sacred", no-one messed with you, stole your kit, or assaulted you

Things change

raleighnut, Mrs M and Drago like this.
  8. Cunobelin

Sorry, I do understand you, but there are practicalities

Where you arrive, and where you end you are often totally different. Think of an office block with 15 floors.

The chance of taking your bike to floor 15, office 12 are often minimal, especially when your initial contact is the reception on the ground floor

9. jefmcg

jefmcg Guru

Do not do a google news search for paramedic. It is soooo depressing.

Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 20.03.16.jpg

10. martint235

martint235 Dog on a bike

This. I'd guess in central London over half the calls will be inside a building, do you really want a paramedic wasting time looking for somewhere to lock it or arguing with security about whether or not the bike needs to be searched

classic33 and raleighnut like this.
  11. Drago

Drago Guru

I days of yore it was a tradition that a magistrate would automatically hand out a 6 month sentence for assaulting a police officer. Of course, they're don't any more and its almost a national pastime.

12. Liz Su

Liz Su Senior Member

They have to move with the times, lock it or loose it.
    If they were going into an office block,the ground floor reception would look after it.

13. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

I've seen it first hand, whilst on the ground/at A&E. Too often.

14. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

In days of yore innocent people would end up 'falling' down stairs at Police stations after being 'detained' by 'Officers' for no good reason.

Do we really want to go back to that.

15. martint235

martint235 Dog on a bike

Really? Straight away? Possibly out in the burbs but in the centre where reception is paid minimum wage by a firm that is contracted to a firm that doesn't even have a base in the building but are under strict instructions that there are contractual obligations to stopping people getting in or creating a security threat.

I bet even a full ambulance crew waste precious time getting into some buildings let alone a single medic shouting "look after this please"