'Despicable' bike theft from paramedic in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Thieves have no conscience. That's why charity boxes are a favourite target.

Doesnt take 10 seconds to put a lock around the back wheel/frame. He/she could have left the bike next to the casualty.
People dont care, its not their bike so they wouldnt be bothered.

Having tried to lock a bike in some London areas - there is nowhere

I attended a meeting, and used the opportunity to pick up a new trike.

I have two quality locks, but there was nowhere within some 500 m where I would be happy to lock it up

It took me some 10 minutes to find somewhere appropriate and walk back t the meeting

People die in that time frame

I am old, and I have standards, I have also worked with emergency services in various forms for 40 years

I can remember the times when an Ambulance or Medic was "sacred", no-one messed with you, stole your kit, or assaulted you

Things change

You dont seem to understand me, they dont need anywhere to lock it to. They could just lock it next to them so an opportunist doesnt cycle off on it.

Sorry, I do understand you, but there are practicalities

Where you arrive, and where you end you are often totally different. Think of an office block with 15 floors.

The chance of taking your bike to floor 15, office 12 are often minimal, especially when your initial contact is the reception on the ground floor

Do not do a google news search for paramedic. It is soooo depressing.

Screen Shot 2016-07-14 at 20.03.16.jpg

martint235

Dog on a bike
You dont seem to understand me, they dont need anywhere to lock it to. They could just lock it next to them so an opportunist doesnt cycle off on it.
Sorry, I do understand you, but there are practicalities

Where you arrive, and where you end you are often totally different. Think of an office block with 15 floors.

The chance of taking your bike to floor 15, office 12 are often minimal, especially when your initial contact is the reception on the ground floor
This. I'd guess in central London over half the calls will be inside a building, do you really want a paramedic wasting time looking for somewhere to lock it or arguing with security about whether or not the bike needs to be searched

Drago

Legendary Member
I am old, and I have standards, I have also worked with emergency services in various forms for 40 years

I can remember the times when an Ambulance or Medic was "sacred", no-one messed with you, stole your kit, or assaulted you

Things change
I days of yore it was a tradition that a magistrate would automatically hand out a 6 month sentence for assaulting a police officer. Of course, they're don't any more and its almost a national pastime.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Do not do a google news search for paramedic. It is soooo depressing.

View attachment 134889
I've seen it first hand, whilst on the ground/at A&E. Too often.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I days of yore it was a tradition that a magistrate would automatically hand out a 6 month sentence for assaulting a police officer. Of course, they're don't any more and its almost a national pastime.
In days of yore innocent people would end up 'falling' down stairs at Police stations after being 'detained' by 'Officers' for no good reason.

Do we really want to go back to that.

martint235

Dog on a bike
They have to move with the times, lock it or loose it.
If they were going into an office block,the ground floor reception would look after it.
Really? Straight away? Possibly out in the burbs but in the centre where reception is paid minimum wage by a firm that is contracted to a firm that doesn't even have a base in the building but are under strict instructions that there are contractual obligations to stopping people getting in or creating a security threat.

I bet even a full ambulance crew waste precious time getting into some buildings let alone a single medic shouting "look after this please"

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hows that relevant?
It is a response to this post of yours.

I just forgot to quote it.

Also FWIW I spent many evenings in a pub in the 80s drinking (after 'hours') with the CID team from one of the stations in Leicester (my girlfriends best mate was 'seeing' one of them) and some of their banter went well beyond the odd beating they dished out.
I could elaborate but not in this thread, that thief deserves a good slap IMO.

Drago

Legendary Member
I still don't see how its relevant Mr Nut. I was commenting on days when those who assaulted public servants tended to get more significant punishment. I hadn't made any comment about aggrieved public servants taking matters into their own hands, and hadn't even dreamed of suggesting that was a desirable state of affairs, so to invite me to defend something I hadn't even thought about just seemed a bit jarring.

As for me? Well, if I were minister for thieving scumbagery id chop their hands off. Stops repeat offending dead, and gives a strong incentive not to don the crime in then first place ;). Id then order them on a diet of soup, which they'd have to eat with chopsticks.

Top Bottom