1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Despicable' bike theft from paramedic in London

Discussion in 'Stolen Bikes' started by classic33, 13 Jul 2016.

Tags:
  1. benrogers101

benrogers101 Regular

Thieving is a heinous act. But stealing from a paramedic who is treating a patient at the time is absolutely loathsome and disgusting. At least they have a clear picture of him and I hope that will help them find this guy.

@above posters, I don't think anyone should be pointing fingers at any country. There are bad people in every country.

Illaveago, raleighnut and classic33 like this.
  2. jefmcg

jefmcg Apparently I shouldn't use the default, "guru"

I certainly don't think one theft is enough for the ambulance service to change it's number one priority when arriving on the scene from aiding the casualty to securing property.

Can you imagine sitting beside a loved one trying to stanch a pulsing arterial bleed, and watching while a paramedic unwraps her hiplok from around her waist, and secures the bike before turning her attention to the patient?

If the ambulance services want to change it's policies as a result of criminal public behaviour, I hope they do something to protect their employees from assault, before worrying about an occasional theft.

TinyMyNewt likes this.
  3. migrantwing

migrantwing Über Member

He looks the type. The epitome of a tosspot thief.

4. Booyaa

Booyaa Über Member

One of these locks that are ubiquitous in the Netherlands would be ideal. Sits on the rear triangle and is like handcuffs so it stops the back wheel from turning.

http://www.dutchbikebits.com/axa-defender-wheel-lock

Ideal piece of kit, particularly for this scenario.

david k likes this.
  5. Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider Formerly just_fixed

I work in A&E's and this happens too regularly. I don't understand why a police officer isn't stationed in A&E's. The security guards aren't even allowed to put hands on.

classic33 likes this.
  6. Golfgeezer

Golfgeezer Regular

Agreed. The whole worlds gone mad

7. RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube ~Tribanese~

Im surprised these bikes dont have a GPS tracker hidden inside the frame or saddle in case of theft... though you dont exactly expect one to be stolen.

seems to be happening more regularly, so maybe its worth getting them installed

8. deptfordmarmoset

deptfordmarmoset Full time tea drinker

While this thread is bumped up to the top, I was just thinking about a wheel lock that would close just by hand releasing a safety lever. It would take no longer to lock than to get the bike on its stand. It would be far harder to carry a heavy laden bike from an incident without becoming pretty conspicuous. You'd need a key to open it again, obviously, but by the time the paramedic is about to pack up and cycle away, there's no immediate time pressure.

raleighnut likes this.
  9. This /\/\

Whilst we all complain about the state of the nation and seek to blame foreigners for all our problems...we ignore the nasty looking daffodil riding a clearly stolen paramedic cycle through the most densely populated city in the UK.

raleighnut likes this.
  10. With a sounder of some type, to wake up the gawkers who are more interested in posting a selfie with the poor victim, than challenging the thief

Apologies for the obvious generalisation...im a bit miffed about this one

11. keithmac

keithmac Über Member

Sad times indeed when life saving paramedics can't leave equipment without fear of having it stolen.

Same with the Fire Brigade, attening life threatening situations and being stoned/ bricked for their trouble..

Society is turning to sh1t, the more scrotes interbreeding the less decent people left...

12. Post this image on all of your twitter, facebook, snap chat, linked in...ir social media weapon of choice.

Lets catch this little scrote
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_Picture.jpg

raleighnut and classic33 like this.
  13. RoubaixCube

RoubaixCube ~Tribanese~

I dont think it would work for london -- most people wont go out of their way to stop a guy stealing a paramedic bike but it would be a good deterrent at least. Hence the GPS tracker -- where ever the bike ends up, the NHS or the police can track it the same way you can track your apple devices if they are stolen and the thief uses it to access the internet.

david k likes this.
  14. A bit of a thread resurrection here, but when you say assaulting a police officer do you mean a punch in the face, or for example pushing them slightly? I read of people being fined or even sent down for the latter. I don't think that deserves a custodial sentence.

15. It depends what the other circumstances are. Nobody ever went down for pushing me. In fact I have never heard of it