Detention Lines: I will wear a helmet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
jonesy said:
Absolutely. It isn't just the effectiveness of helmets at reducing injury in individual accidents that counts, we also have to assess the effectiveness of promotion and compulsion when applied to large populations. It is perfectly possible both for helmets to offer a real benefit in certain types of accident (which is why I usually wear one) and for compulsion to be ineffective and/or counter-productive at the population level (which is why I'm opposed to compulsion).

These studies have further flaws as well....

The "helmet compulsion" was part of a whole raft of safety measures including stamping down on speeding, drink driving, unlicansed vehices and drivers, prro driving standards and others.

None of this is taklemn into account, so any decrease in injury or deathis simply pigeon holed to helmet wearing...... Any of the above, or the combination should have reduced the risk of accidents and consequently the decrease in injury or deaths.

Taking this into account,the reductions claimed are even less imprssive!

Wolf04

Crackle said:
It's impossible to derive any conclusion from a single real life accident, unless you've got the whole thing mapped out. This is why I said earlier that the only way to go is a kind of cycling Euro NCAP procedure.

Agree 100% if helmets are going to be worn as protective clothing then they should have effective testing and certification.

Wolf04

col said:
Well yes but im saying sometimes you can say something saved your life,for example if a piece of say slate was embedded in your helmet like a knife and just missed your scalp,could you not conclude that the helmet did indeed save you?Unlikely i know,but you get the idea?

Yes I follow the logic. :smile:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Crackle said:
It's impossible to derive any conclusion from a single real life accident, unless you've got the whole thing mapped out. This is why I said earlier that the only way to go is a kind of cycling Euro NCAP procedure.

That's not quite true - we have Ravenbait, formerly of this forum, who received a neck injury because of her helmet.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Crackle said:
It would've been helpful if you'd stated up front that you were against helmet wearing for many reasons and not just on the grounds that the evidence is not convincing that they are actually effective against injury.

I suspect also, that like me, you don't like being told what to do but of course I can't just say I don't like being told what to do, I generally have to find good reason not to do something I'm told to do. :smile:

Not really - I hate reading long and rambling posts, so it's nicer to post one solid point at a time in response to a particular poster. Don't attribute the lack of flow to me, but rather to the many and varied points brought up on a topic like this by many different people.

BentMikey said:
That's not quite true - we have Ravenbait, formerly of this forum, who received a neck injury because of her helmet.

So this carries more weight than my fractured skull because I wasn't wearing a helmet. Obviously I haven't said that because I'm slightly more objective than that but it happened and I've worn a helmet ever since - draw your own conlusions.

BentMikey said:
Not really - I hate reading long and rambling posts, so it's nicer to post one solid point at a time in response to a particular poster. Don't attribute the lack of flow to me, but rather to the many and varied points brought up on a topic like this by many different people.

I think we've both made our points so I have nothing else to add to this other than what I've already said.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Do you not see the difference between the two examples? It's one thing wondering whether or not a helmet might have prevented your injury, and quite another when you received an injury because of a helmet. The first is theory, the second is an actual instance of harm.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
[quote name='swee'pea99']
BentMikey said:
Except that simply wearing a helmet is a vote for compulsion. The govt. has said so in the past.

I really don't want to get into the argument, but just two things on that: 1) Just 'cos the Govt says it, don't make it true, and 2) It isn't
I really don't want to get into the argument, but just two things on that: 1) Just 'cos the Govt says it, don't make it true, and 2) It isn't[/QUOTE]

Halleluyah - I finally persuaded Mike to give me some reasoning, which it turns out is as illogical as the original claim - and someone else recognises it as such. Thanks, swee'pea...

Since when do we let the government decide for us what are the terms of discussion? Surely that's the whole point of having cycling advocacy and campaigning organisations, and of standing up for our rights - so that they are not allowed to do so?

Anyway, the discussion seems to be over. Once again everyone and the evidence generally agrees that compulsion is bad and pretty much everythig else is a matter of interpretation or lacks substantive evidence, except for a tiny number of extremists on either end.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Flying_Monkey said:
Anyway, the discussion seems to be over. Once again everyone and the evidence generally agrees that compulsion is bad and pretty much everythig else is a matter of interpretation or lacks substantive evidence, except for a tiny number of extremists on either end.

Yep till the next time :biggrin:

BentMikey said:
Do you not see the difference between the two examples? It's one thing wondering whether or not a helmet might have prevented your injury, and quite another when you received an injury because of a helmet. The first is theory, the second is an actual instance of harm.

Both are anecdotal: You can ascribe no more weight to one or the other but you are :biggrin: Somehow Ravenbaits account is more valuable because it fits the facts as you see them. I see the difference but I just wanted to see where you're objectivity scale was.

Ergo:

My view: I fractured my skull, it's debatable if a helmet would've have helped.
Your view: You fractured your skull but that doesn't prove anything about helmets

My view: Ravenbait twisted her neck, perhaps helmet design needs looking at.
Your view: Ravenbait twisted her neck, that proves helmets really are not good.

Or that's how it seems.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I think you've completely missed the point, crackle. Sure, both are anecdotal, that's not in contention. The point is that your incident proves nothing about helmets either way, and neither would a helmeted crash, though both are often used to "prove" that helmets do protect. Ravenbait's proves that helmets can sometimes injure. It's not biased, it's simply fact.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Flying_Monkey said:
Halleluyah - I finally persuaded Mike to give me some reasoning, which it turns out is as illogical as the original claim - and someone else recognises it as such. Thanks, swee'pea...

The govt. has said that if there were something like 80% helmet wearing rates, then they would consider bringing in helmet legislation. My point is thus correct, and you are clutching at straws.

No, you're doing more than that - you're avoiding logic and debate, and just decrying my argument, without basis in fact. It's pretty funny seeing you and Origamist blame me for your own faults!!

Top Bottom