Detention Lines: I will wear a helmet.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
BentMikey said:
I think you've completely missed the point, crackle. Sure, both are anecdotal, that's not in contention. The point is that your incident proves nothing about helmets either way, and neither would a helmeted crash, though both are often used to "prove" that helmets do protect. Ravenbait's proves that helmets can sometimes injure. It's not biased, it's simply fact.

I think you have too but look! We ain't going to reach any consensus on this and I'm done here I think, unless someone picks on one of my posts. So let's part friends and agree to disagree. We can have another 'right old discussion' when a new study comes out. Until then........adios on the helmet thread.

...and well done Handsome Joe. 38 posts in he must be wondering what the hell he's joined up to :biggrin:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
User3143 said:
and it is nice to have that extra bit of insurance

You mean like riding with lights and not rlj'ing ? :biggrin::biggrin::sad::wacko:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Crackle said:
...and well done Handsome Joe. 38 posts in he must be wondering what the hell he's joined up to :sad:

At least he will be safe in the knowledge that if he does ride into a concrete post again his helmet will save him :biggrin:

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
I think you've completely missed the point, crackle. Sure, both are anecdotal, that's not in contention. The point is that your incident proves nothing about helmets either way, and neither would a helmeted crash, though both are often used to "prove" that helmets do protect. Ravenbait's proves that helmets can sometimes injure. It's not biased, it's simply fact.

So if you claim this, it seems your claiming that because there are no facts to prove otherwise,helmets have not been proven to help against injury?The logic you say is missing from others is definitely missing from this.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
BentMikey said:
The govt. has said that if there were something like 80% helmet wearing rates, then they would consider bringing in helmet legislation. My point is thus correct, and you are clutching at straws.

No, you're doing more than that - you're avoiding logic and debate, and just decrying my argument, without basis in fact. It's pretty funny seeing you and Origamist blame me for your own faults!!

As Michael Caine said, you a big bloke, but you're out of shape and I do this for living...:sad:

Tell me exactly how and where I have 'avoided logic and debate' and I will deal with this. Go on.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Flying_Monkey said:
As Michael Caine said, you a big bloke, but you're out of shape and I do this for living...:angry:

Tell me exactly how and where I have 'avoided logic and debate' and I will deal with this. Go on.

That misquotation (from one of my favourite films) reminds me of another piece of Hodges' dialogue that seems apposite:

[Harry, who's playing poker, is disturbed by Carter's presence in the room]
Harry: Thought you were going soon.
Jack Carter: Soon. When you've lost your money. Won't take long.
Harry: Clever sod, aren't you?
Jack Carter: Only comparatively.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Wolf04 said:
Apology if you consider my comments as Bolshy however you quoted my comment re: anecdotal observation then use anecdotal observation. To the best of my knowledge I have never told anyone not to wear or indeed wear a helmet.
So by all means please your bloody self but lets try and keep it civilised.

I will please my bloody self - there was enough of it at the time :tongue:

Wolf - apologies if I took your post the wrong way. *white flag*

I'm with a few of the posters on this one, without the helmet and in the 2 instances I've experienced, I believe it would have been a lot more serious without the helmet. Whether it was a 6" gash and concussion or a something a lot worse, I don't care. I will continue to wear it and will advise others to do the same.

I'm not saying that I think it will save my life if I'm knocked off in an accident involving another vehicle. I'm not that naive. I don't believe anything could save my life apart from a bit of luck, in that situation.

It's all down to personal choice and I'm sure this subject has been discussed to death. :angry:

Top Bottom