Di2 good or bad?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I assume you still have to adjust things and replacing a battery is something else to remember. What if you run out of batteries on a club run in the countryside with no batteries on you?

I brought my Venge January this year and have not asjusted the front of rear derailer during this time. I have charged my battery once since owning the bike, Sky have also stated that they can do the tour without needing to recharge the battery, they only charge it in the final week for reasurance.
As previously stated the system also has a battery status check and even when you get the red light you have 500 miles on average usage.
One of my Di2 bikes has had no maintence for 11 months and the battery has not been charged during this time even though it is regulary ridden, have you made any adjustment to your shifting or derailers during this time?
The battery is not an issue at all as anyone who runs Di2 will telll you.

Mr Haematocrit

When they develop it to run on a triple I will seriously consider it.

This already exists, its a aftermarket kit by k-edge called ki2 and was designed for MTB's however the modified front derailler works on tripples.

www.ki2bike.com for more details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I don't know why people think a battery that needs re-charging after six months minimum is a problem. We all seem to manage lugging mobile phones around that need a charge every two to three days.

And what if the battery does run out? You've got to get home on a single speed, people have cycled round the world on one gear.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I see the two main advantages of Di2 over mech is:

1) it shifts cleaner under heavy power, which is important for the pros as they can generate loads of watts.

2) it can self trim allowing for perfect shifts and less chance for a chain drop, again very important in the pro peloton.

As for the advantages for non pros I guess the self trim would be they winner for me.

Never tried a Di2 rig yet, but a mate has a UDi2 bike I might have a Pootle on one day.

BigTam

Über Member
Well have just had my first decent run out on my Merida Scultura Evo 905 Di2, 30 miles, well impressed, smooth shifting, under any load and double shifting no issue what so ever, its the future ^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
You guys have convinced me! It'll be in my spec list for my next bike for sure.

Looking at Shimanos website it would seem Di2 isn't offered in the UK at the moment, only the Ui2.

Mr Haematocrit

Looking at Shimanos website it would seem Di2 isn't offered in the UK at the moment, only the Ui2.

This is the impression which Shimano seem to give out at the moment, possibly due to the impending release of the next gen Di2 however when an order for a full kit is placed from a LBS they seem to be able to forfill it.
Some people who are doing Di2 buy it in component form as then you can buy an after market battery which fits in the seatpost and a loom which permits in bike charging from the start.
If you want details of your options regarding this I can give you details.

Drago

Legendary Member
of course it's available in the UK....
Tell Shimmy to update their website then! ;)

Even if on an Ali frame bike ? Or spend the same money on standard Ultegra with Carbon frame ?

Choices choices! To be honest, I think you'll probably be happy either way. Ui2 makes you happy every time you change (especially the front mech - bzzzt!), but standard Ultegra on a Carbon frame is also a little bit of bike heaven!

I see the two main advantages of Di2 over mech is:

1) it shifts cleaner under heavy power, which is important for the pros as they can generate loads of watts.

2) it can self trim allowing for perfect shifts and less chance for a chain drop, again very important in the pro peloton.

As for the advantages for non pros I guess the self trim would be they winner for me.

Never tried a Di2 rig yet, but a mate has a UDi2 bike I might have a Pootle on one day.

I read a review in a Cycling mag once that actually suggested most of the benefits suited amateur cyclists more than pros. Shifting under load is an amateur mistake rather than a pro error. Auto trim is more beneficial to people who may say 'trim? how?', and never needing to adjust gear cables is another bonus!

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
It sounds great to me. But as I am a normal factory working pleb I am going to wait until it comes down further in price as I cannot justify it at the moment. I am guessing that it may come down in price if it drops down to the lower spec groupsets. Most people I know at work and friends have Tiagra and 105 equiped bikes, if it comes down to those levels (or just 105) I am sure that it will sell loads.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I read a review in a Cycling mag once that actually suggested most of the benefits suited amateur cyclists more than pros. Shifting under load is an amateur mistake rather than a pro error. Auto trim is more beneficial to people who may say 'trim? how?', and never needing to adjust gear cables is another bonus!

However, the SKY guys were talking about being able to go up gears on climbs without backing off the power, or attacking into the big ring with assurance of a clean shift. Sounds like the Pro's have just as much use for it. Cav shifting in the sprint using thumb shifters is another great benefit (to him anyway), or button based TT bar end shifters. I'm would not spend the extra cash right now on a retrofit, but if I was in the market for a brand new bike, it would defiantly be either Di2 or UDi2. For now the mechanical is just fine for me.

Top Bottom