Di2 in the sales ...is it worth it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Sorry but how are you indexing your cable gears mid ride whilst still pedalling? Or seeing what gear you are in without looking back? Or using the shift levers to control your bike computer?

It’s called bar end shifters. I can see the gear by the lever position. All you need to know with gears are do I have more to shift up to, do I have more to shift down to.

What do you mean by indexing gears whilst pedalling? How were you controlling your bike computer? Only I thing I saw you mention was relying on the bike computer to display gear, but clearly I don’t need that as I can see by lever position.

faster

Über Member
Sorry but how are you indexing your cable gears mid ride whilst still pedalling?

With the adjusters on the downtube?

That's how I do it anyway.

Inspector Monkfish

It’s called bar end shifters. I can see the gear by the lever position. All you need to know with gears are do I have more to shift up to, do I have more to shift down to.

What do you mean by indexing gears whilst pedalling? How were you controlling your bike computer? Only I thing I saw you mention was relying on the bike computer to display gear, but clearly I don’t need that as I can see by lever position.

The original question related to upgrading from mechanical ultegra to di2 so made an assumption that the OP was using sti levers and not bar end shifters so wouldn't be able to see the gear without looking. Also by indexing gears whilst pedalling I mean exactly that, with a mechanical setup if the shifting is out you have to stop and tweak the barrel adjuster, with di2 you can make adjustments whilst still riding. My original post was in reply to a message that mechanical can do everything di2 can and I made the point that it is possible to control a Garmin or Wahoo with the buttons on top of the shifters, you can't do that with any cable set up.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The original question related to upgrading from mechanical ultegra to di2 so made an assumption that the OP was using sti levers and not bar end shifters so wouldn't be able to see the gear without looking. Also by indexing gears whilst pedalling I mean exactly that, with a mechanical setup if the shifting is out you have to stop and tweak the barrel adjuster, with di2 you can make adjustments whilst still riding. My original post was in reply to a message that mechanical can do everything di2 can and I made the point that it is possible to control a Garmin or Wahoo with the buttons on top of the shifters, you can't do that with any cable set up.

I run my shifters in friction mode, indexing is never out as they don’t need to be indexed. So I never need to stop to fettle any inferior indexing. So the only additional thing DI2 is offering is one finger simultaneous shifts.

P.S. I can run my cable shifters with anything from 5 speed to 10 speed (haven’t tried 11/12). Can your DI2 do that?

Mike_P

Guru
Occurred to me that if you are lucky you might find a decent di2 equipped second hand bike that could be robbed of its di2 parts and sold on fitted with your analogue system.Theres a Scott Foil 15 54cm on eBay for collection on Birkenhead for £1150 or best offer if that's near anyone which could make a pretty cheap di2 source once the bike is sold on.

Inspector Monkfish

I run my shifters in friction mode, indexing is never out as they don’t need to be indexed. So I never need to stop to fettle any inferior indexing. So the only additional thing DI2 is offering is one finger simultaneous shifts.

P.S. I can run my cable shifters with anything from 5 speed to 10 speed (haven’t tried 11/12). Can your DI2 do that?

You seem to be missing the point that the original question was related to choosing di2 or mechanical ultegra, and I was pointing out all the benefits of di2. So your index shifters, 5 speed or any other antiquated shifting methods are completely irrelevant to the original post and my subsequent reply

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You seem to be missing the point that the original question was related to choosing di2 or mechanical ultegra, and I was pointing out all the benefits of di2. So your index shifters, 5 speed or any other antiquated shifting methods are completely irrelevant to the original post and my subsequent reply

Nonsense, shows superior functionality and features to what you prefer.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Or alternatively an answer to the actual question that was asked without trying to crowbar in an argument about how everything was better in the olden days.

Well if you hadn’t tried to claim cable shifting can’t do lots of things when it can we wouldn’t be here would we? No crowbar needed! 😂Also we are not talking about the olden days, we are are talking right now, this day. We are talking current technology. DI2 is just one of many options this day and it has many disadvantages as well as advantages.

Top Bottom