Di2 in the sales ...is it worth it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gmw492

Veteran
Hi all, I have never really bothered about Di2 due to the price increase from a Ultegra mechanical to Di2.
Now however in the sales there is not a big jump in price as it's varaible at around £150 to £200 difference now at my LBS, started looking at videos on it and semi shifting and once set up seems little adjustment if any and looks good.
How do you find it and would it be better saving a bit of money and staying mechanical and put the money towards an upgrade maybe wheels or aero drop bar etc, or is it worth going for. Like I said I never wanted to spend £500-600 more for it so never looked at it but as it's sale price now it has just got me thinking, then again there are ultegra bikes on offer now too at different stores so the price has dropped on some of them too.
Long winded question sorry ,but how good is Di2 ?
Thanks

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Love mine. Smooth as silk.once set you can forget about it.Had it for a couple of years with no issues.

Drago

Legendary Member
Only you can answer "is it worth it?" I've tried it many times, and it's a technical tour de force, marvel of applied engineering, and very reliable. Shimano stole a march of half a decade and no one has really caught up, it's that accomplished.

But at the level at which we ride it won't make you any faster, and it somehow leaves me cold, doesn't excite or interest me at all.

Only you know which side of the fence you fall on. If it will tug your rug then it's worth it, if it won't then it isn't. We can't decide that on your behalf.

If its performance gains you're after then upgrade wheels are in a completely different league and well worth the spend.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Aye, I remember the first time I tried it it felt almost supernatural! :laugh:

Perhaps I'm easily impressed, but the way it automatically trims the front mech did it for me.

The chain scraping on the inside of the front mech on a cable change always annoyed me, to the point where I would avoid changing when I otherwise wanted to.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Only you can answer "is it worth it?" I've tried it many times, and it's a technical tour de force, marvel of applied engineering, and very reliable. Shimano stole a march of half a decade and no one has really caught up, it's that accomplished.

But at the level at which we ride it won't make you any faster, and it somehow leaves me cold, doesn't excite or interest me at all.

Only you know which side of the fence you fall on. If it will tug your rug then it's worth it, if it won't then it isn't. We can't decide that on your behalf.

If its performance gains you're after then upgrade wheels are in a completely different league and well worth the spend.
I do not think anything aprt from an e bike will make me faster, it is just the point of how good is it for shifting and once set up runs smoothly, like I said its not much dearer than mechanical but you have answered part my question by stating that it is a marvel of applied engineering and reliable, that is the way of how I am leaning towards it,I know it will not make me any faster, cheers

Heigue'r

Veteran
I ride mecanical and di2...love the di2,it is on the good bike which kind of defeats the object in my case.If I was going to buy a new commuter I would spec di2 as this bike gets the most miles therefor the most maintenance,suffers cable stretch over time that needs adjusting,snaped cables that need replacing etc.Di2 eliminates this.If the good bike was mecanical,it probably wouldnt need adjusting over the course of the year with the amount of use it gets.In short,Di2 is lovely but next time it will be going on high mileage bike..ie commuter.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Perhaps I'm easily impressed, but the way it automatically trims the front mech did it for me.

The chain scraping on the inside of the front mech on a cable change always annoyed me, to the point where I would avoid changing when I otherwise wanted to.
Great quote, that is one headache for me too , that's another reason why I like he look of it, cheers

Gunk

Guru

I still like a good quality mechanical set up, but still having to trim the front mech is bloody annoying.

My performance gains would be easier to achieve however by losing half a stone!

Top Bottom