Di2 in the sales ...is it worth it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I’ve ridden a couple of bikes with it , it as others have said feckin brilliant. Is it worth it? No.
It's worth it for me to have it on the other half bike. She was never happy with her Ultegra cable setup. But then again she is always fiddling with one thing or another.I have set hundreds of mechanical systems up. Never had a real problem just the occasional tweak. But even she cannot fault her Di2.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
It's worth it for me to have it on the other half bike. She was never happy with her Ultegra cable setup. But then again she is always fiddling with one thing or another.I have set hundreds of mechanical systems up. Never had a real problem just the occasional tweak. But even she cannot fault her Di2.
How long does the battery last roughly, say doing 3 rides of 2 or 3 hours per week?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
How long does the battery last roughly, say doing 3 rides of 2 or 3 hours per week?
A few months. Never really calculated it.I reckon I charge it every two or three months.as soon as I get a flashing light. Which is supposed to be halfway through the battery. Never let it go beyond that. So in theory you could possible get away with three or four charges a year. But I do really use the gears a lot. Keeping cadence right.

PapaZita

Guru

Probably longer than you’d think. Several months, or more than 1000 miles, in my experience. It’s easy to test the charge by holding down a shift button. I’ve often given mine a top up charge, “just to be sure”, before a big ride, and consequently rarely see it report anything other than that it’s well charged.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I do not think anything aprt from an e bike will make me faster, it is just the point of how good is it for shifting and once set up runs smoothly, like I said its not much dearer than mechanical but you have answered part my question by stating that it is a marvel of applied engineering and reliable, that is the way of how I am leaning towards it,I know it will not make me any faster, cheers

High quality wheels will make you go faster, deliver more comfort and greater stability when cornering. I think it's worth 2+ mph on the flat, climbing is easier and around 5+ mph descending.

Last year I was training for the 312 and had been having a lot of dialogue with my LBS about this. I wandered in one day and the owner said "I know how we can make you go faster." Went out the back, returned to hand me a pair of carbon tubeless wheels. With tyres it cost me +/-£650.

I did this on trust. The improvement is very significant.

I wouldn't dream of telling you how to spend your cash. However Di2 will deliver pleasure and a smoother change. New wheels will deliver improved performance all round and a smoother more comfortable ride. That's my pleasure!

For me it's a no brainer.

Does the £150/200 you quote include shifters etc?

JhnBssll

Veteran
I upgraded to Di2 on my 'best' bike and haven't looked back. Since then I've gone Di2 on 3 other bikes and am currently buying parts for the wifes bike as she struggles with the mechanical shifters due to a hand injury.

Its fab, you wont regret it :okay:

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s only a grand or so isn’t it? If you want it, why not?

CXRAndy

Guru
Ive had it 4-5 years, its never let me down. I cycled in some truly wet conditions and its been perfect. I now have 3 bikes with it now. It is a luxury, but once you have used it you will likely never go back to mechanical derailleurs. I got all the correct interface kit to setup and upgrade firmware. The syncro shift and precise shift is so reliable. The front derailleur self trims as you move and down the cassette. I could go on about fingertip shifting too

CXRAndy

Guru

1000 miles is possible in summer. You get warning if you dont have the MT800 display/sat nav integration. The front derailleur will stop working several hours before the battery goes flat

Globalti

Legendary Member
I read somewhere that Shimano has 4000 staff, of whom 400 are involved in R&D whereas Suntour has (had) 400 and 40. They still made the loveliest little thumb shifters though.

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
I don’t know much about Di2 but a self trimming front mech sounds good :laugh:

Is there much of a weight penalty with a Di2 system? There’s the battery and I’d imagine the mechs are heavier, but I’d be interested to know the difference between say Ultegra mechanical setup vs Di2.

Not looking to buy, just interested!

Top Bottom