Di2 in the sales ...is it worth it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
All canyons advertised as such
Yet not a single one comes with a complete, unadulterated Ultegra groupset, which would also include seat post, hubs, pedals, bottom bracket, and even skewers, etc. The best they do is geartrain, brakes and crank set.

They’re sneaky, they never say “full group set” it’s just the “105” or “Ultegra” version

Exactement! The term "groupset" is badly abused by sellers, and gullible buyers repeat it without even thinking. when someone thinks "I can get Di2 for only X amount more than an Ultegra groupset", what they should actually be thinking is "I can get the bare bones of a Di2 set up for X amount more than an Uletegra/partial Ultegra drivetrain." That makes the mathematics a little more realistic, is all.

Last edited:

Mark pallister

Yet not a single one comes with a complete, unadulterated Ultegra groupset, which would also include seat post, hubs, pedals, bottom bracket, and even skewers, etc. The best they do is geartrain, brakes and crank set.

Exactement! The term "groupset" is badly abused by sellers, and gullible buyers repeat it without even thinking. when someone thinks "I can get Di2 for only X amount more than an Ultegra groupset", what they should actually be thinking is "I can get the bare bones of a Di2 set up for X amount more than an Uletegra/partial Ultegra drivetrain." That makes the mathematics a little more realistic, is all.

Mark pallister

you'll struggle to buy a bike complete with pedals ,bottom bracket should be included in groupset and I didn’t even know shimano made a seat post ?
hubs not unless I was buying Ultegra wheels
I’ve only been cycling 6 yrs or so and my understanding of a groupset is drivetrain ,brakes,bb and shifters

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Di2 is lovely, I find switching back to my 105 bike takes a little getting used to, particularly I don’t give the levers enough of a push as I’m used to the “buttons” of Di2. I find Di2 more tricky when wearing full gloves though in the cold as the lever doesn’t swing across, the “feel” is different if you catch my drift. And the noises it makes are great.

Gunk

Guru
you'll struggle to buy a bike complete with pedals ,bottom bracket should be included in groupset and I didn’t even know shimano made a seat post ?
hubs not unless I was buying Ultegra wheels
I’ve only been cycling 6 yrs or so and my understanding of a groupset is drivetrain ,brakes,bb and shifters

Shimano haven’t made an Ultegra seatpost for years, so you’re right a group set is just the drivetrain and brakes.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I find "Groupset" to be a silly term. The shifters, cassette and mech have to be compatible for gear section but that's about it. Who makes the hubs, chainset, pedals and calipers is neither here nor there. Most of my bikes have been a mixture of parts.

Perhaps I'm easily impressed, but the way it automatically trims the front mech did it for me.

The chain scraping on the inside of the front mech on a cable change always annoyed me, to the point where I would avoid changing when I otherwise wanted to.
mm - i am a flat bar bod -have several nice shimano left hand rapidfires changers which will sort that with but the flick of a thumb. They will all probably outlive me.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
mm - i am a flat bar bod -have several nice shimano left hand rapidfires changers which will sort that with but the flick of a thumb. They will all probably outlive me.

Now you mention it, something rings a bell about a trim feature on flat bar Shimano shifters.

I suspect some owners don't know it exists.

Indexed shifters are nice on the back, but a friction shifter on the front would do the same job.

Now you mention it, something rings a bell about a trim feature on flat bar Shimano shifters.

I suspect some owners don't know it exists.

Indexed shifters are nice on the back, but a friction shifter on the front would do the same job.
I'm not sure they do them anymore.
I think some folk considered them an admission of defeat on the click-to-shift idea.
I use triples on most of my many many bikes and think they are great.
I'm no purist and doing the odd extra click for certain combinations worries me not a jot.
They are very well made - I still use a pair that came with a 2004 bike - well used, now on another bike build - I did look into lubeing them recently but decided there was no point taking them apart - they work fine so why screw it up?
I bought a few extras for about £15 each.

edit - mine are used as left triple shifters on 8 and 9 speed setups.
Keep it simple.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Di2 is a luxury and not a necessity. If you are happy with mechanical, save your money for something else. My Di2 is excellent. But it is my least used bike.

Top Bottom