Di2 in the sales ...is it worth it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Strikes me as being useful climbing to know just how many gears are left. Yes you can look, more back than down for the rear, but on a few occasions I have not been able to do to that safely due navigating a minefield of potholes.
It's interesting to read of the benefits and positives which people enjoy. I wasn't aware of all these "add ons" and can see why people enjoy them.

All the talk I've heard of Di2 is the smooth change and automatic trimming which sounds great to me. I also know a few who have been very pissed off to run out of charge unexpectedly. I guess that's their fault.

As I said earlier next time I buy a bike I'd consider it but all the add ons wouldn't be a game changer or influence as I don't need them. I can see the fun though - I love unecessary gadgets in my car!!

DSK

Had I known that the DI2 was somewhat better from a maintenance perspective, for me anyway, I'd have gone for a DI2 model. I think next bike, will definitely have to give DI2 a strong consideration.

I was looking at the DI2 groupsets new and what they cost on the used market. For the hassle, if I decide to go DI2 on my current bike which, I never imagine selling, I'd probably just get a new groupset as used is very expensive and unless you know it inside/out, you may end up spending more on bits and pieces.

Mark pallister

Had I known that the DI2 was somewhat better from a maintenance perspective, for me anyway, I'd have gone for a DI2 model. I think next bike, will definitely have to give DI2 a strong consideration.

I was looking at the DI2 groupsets new and what they cost on the used market. For the hassle, if I decide to go DI2 on my current bike which, I never imagine selling, I'd probably just get a new groupset as used is very expensive and unless you know it inside/out, you may end up spending more on bits and pieces.
I would think it would be a right pita if the frames not specifically designed for it

I switched mid last year after several years of umming and ahing, even decided not to take it as an option on my previous bike. However after riding with a few people end of 2018 and early 2019 i figured i was missing out. So my last bike had to have Di2 and it has :okay:

What i like:
  • Automatic trimming
  • Easy whilst riding ability to adjust gears, 1 long press to get into adjustment mode, then a click or 2 and perfectly tuned gears without having even got off the bike
  • Manual, semi-auto and full auto modes (i like semi-auto, not sure of it's correct name)
  • Easier gear changes, ie when i'm cornering i would never with mechanical gearing change gear as i'd need to change my grip, with Di2 (or other) i can click down a gear as i'm coming out of a corner
  • Continuous shifting: ie hold the shifter over and change several gears in one hit
  • Battery level is on my Wahoo unit
  • Gear number indicator can also be on your cycling computer (i haven't bothered with that)
  • Easy to switch what the shifters do (you need e-tube to do that) i switched my front derailleur shifter to work the opposite way to the factory setting, it just made more sense in my head
Very happy with it so far, easy to charge, reliable and makes cool noise, what more could any gadget freak want:laugh:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I tried the synchronised shifting but did not like it. Could have played around a bit more with it. But normal mode is so much better. Cant really see any benefits for synchronised or semi synchronised.

Mark pallister

I tried the synchronised shifting but did not like it. Could have played around a bit more with it. But normal mode is so much better. Cant really see any benefits for synchronised or semi synchronised.
I use semi sycro so when I change from big to small on the front it automatically shifts down two on the rear so I don’t spin
i find it very useful

I use semi sycro so when I change from big to small on the front it automatically shifts down two on the rear so I don’t spin
i find it very useful

Same here.

Tried full synchro but on a couple of occasions when changing down on the front cassette as i entered a climb it would of course compensate by kindly kicking down a few cogs on the back as i entered some nice 10%.....

Semi seems pretty good and avoids this.

I forgot to add that with Di2 and e-tube you can program certain accessory features on the hidden buttons on the hoods, page changing on your computer, switching on/off enabled lights etc.

I have Di2 with an Alfine hub and drop-bar levers. There is no front derailer. Unfortunately you cannot buy a left lever without switches and you can't (not on E-Tube project for smartphones, in anyway) configure it so that the gears can be changed from any side.

Those two superflous switches are burning in my mind. Maybe I should manually connect them to two different electronic hoooters or something.

Those two superflous switches are burning in my mind. Maybe I should manually connect them to two different electronic hoooters or something.

Must admit that i have no idea what to do with mine either:laugh::laugh::laugh:

cycle bell app on my phone trigged by one of them, that would be useful.

2nd button for an Uber when you run out of inner tubes^_^

Must admit that i have no idea what to do with mine either:laugh::laugh::laugh:

cycle bell app on my phone trigged by one of them, that would be useful.

2nd button for an Uber when you run out of inner tubes^_^
So you have the same problem/setup?

Have you managed to find out if the professional E-Tube system can change that?

I have a standard Shimano front and rear derailleur set up but i didn't buy Di2 wireless add on (another £70), i asked my LBS to change a couple of things last time it went in for a service but i realised that if i wanted to play around with e-tube features that i also need the wireless adaptor, perhaps once i figure out why i'd need it and what i could do with those buttons:laugh:

JhnBssll

Veteran
If you have an internal battery, the standard charger can be used to connect to a PC running the free eTube software to make most of the changes and updates that the more expensive PC link device can do. That's what I use to tweak settings :okay:

tom73

Guru
Have I got this right the software is not compatible with Mac OS so no hardwire option?
Only way to program / update things via on apple device is bluetooth using a iPhone / iPad app?

JhnBssll

Veteran
Have I got this right the software is not compatible with Mac OS so no hardwire option?
Only way to program / update things via on apple device is bluetooth using a iPhone / iPad app?

Yeah I think that's the case, the eTube software is only available for PC. :sad:

There is a hardwire option, but it is a professional product that runs on PC. It is quite expensive. I'm not sure if it is available on Apple, but I have used the PC version when I was still in the trade.

Top Bottom