di2 Shifting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

junkie_ball

Hi

I just installed a d-fly sensor on to my di2 ultregra set-up so i can see which gear i'm in and battery levels on my garmin head unit. I noticed whilst doing this i have to double click to shift the gears past the third largest gear on the why up the cassette and twice at the third smallest on the way down. Is this a feature of di2 to warn you about not riding in a gear that crosses the chain e.g. small chain ring on the front hardest on the rear or is there a click in my system.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Sounds like you need to micro adjust the rear mech.
Press and hold the button on the side of the junction box, when the light flashes you are in adjustment mode.
Shift whilst rotating the pedals and the shift action will be very tiny increments. Do this until all of your gears are set up on the rear cassette and are running quietly. Press again the button on the junction box and it returns to normal operating mode.
Sounds complicated, but it really isn't.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Hi

I just installed a d-fly sensor on to my di2 ultregra set-up so i can see which gear i'm in and battery levels on my garmin head unit. I noticed whilst doing this i have to double click to shift the gears past the third largest gear on the why up the cassette and twice at the third smallest on the way down. Is this a feature of di2 to warn you about not riding in a gear that crosses the chain e.g. small chain ring on the front hardest on the rear or is there a click in my system.
You can't really cross chain with Di2 because the front mech self trims.
You can run any Gear combo you like.

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

Sounds like you need to micro adjust the rear mech.
Press and hold the button on the side of the junction box, when the light flashes you are in adjustment mode.
Shift whilst rotating the pedals and the shift action will be very tiny increments. Do this until all of your gears are set up on the rear cassette and are running quietly. Press again the button on the junction box and it returns to normal operating mode.
Sounds complicated, but it really isn't.

The indexing on the gears seem fine. The gears are running smooth and quiet. After I do the double click in whichever direction I am changing it changes as normal one click per gear.

I know the front much self trims but still not an ideal gear ratio so was wondering if it was just to make you aware you are going to the opposite extremes.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
You can't really cross chain with Di2 because the front mech self trims.
You can run any Gear combo you like.
Err yes you can cross chain, the fact that the front self trims to stop any rubbing doesn't alleviate the fact that your chainline is at an extreme, and more likely to cause sprocket and chainring wear than if you were using the other chainring.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Err yes you can cross chain, the fact that the front self trims to stop any rubbing doesn't alleviate the fact that your chainline is at an extreme, and more likely to cause sprocket and chainring wear than if you were using the other chainring.
Ooooh, get you!

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
The indexing on the gears seem fine. The gears are running smooth and quiet. After I do the double click in whichever direction I am changing it changes as normal one click per gear.

I know the front much self trims but still not an ideal gear ratio so was wondering if it was just to make you aware you are going to the opposite extremes.
Has it always been like it or just started since you fitted the new bits?

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I run Dura-ace Di2 and UltegraDi2. Both are fine at all extremes, particularly the Ultegra for the last 10 months and it still runs brand new.
When they wear I will buy another cassette and chain....

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Is there not a mode button on it?

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

Has it always been like it or just started since you fitted the new bits?

In all honesty i don't know as not had the bike on the work stand until tonight as it's fairly new. This was the first job i had done on it myself. I think it has though as have noticed that when i've been out on rides i had to click a few times to change the gear. I had assumed i'd missed the paddle when i changed gear on the ride but after looking at how the shifting is functioning i think that was not the case. I may pop into my local bike i brought the bike and ask if they configured the gear changes to be like this or not or if they have had this issue before.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
In all honesty i don't know as not had the bike on the work stand until tonight as it's fairly new. This was the first job i had done on it myself. I think it has though as have noticed that when i've been out on rides i had to click a few times to change the gear. I had assumed i'd missed the paddle when i changed gear on the ride but after looking at how the shifting is functioning i think that was not the case. I may pop into my local bike i brought the bike and ask if they configured the gear changes to be like this or not or if they have had this issue before.
Ok Junkie,
When I installed mine out of the box I had those exact problems with rear changing that you describe.
Once I had adjusted high and low limits on the front mech it changed up and down but the rear shifting was ever so slightly off where by you had to tap the paddle twice to change to certain gears.
So I did what I described earlier and it sorted it out quickly.
Sorry I couldn't be more help. Hope you get it sorted.
Good luck

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

Ok Junkie,
When I installed mine out of the box I had those exact problems with rear changing that you describe.
Once I had adjusted high and low limits on the front mech it changed up and down but the rear shifting was ever so slightly off where by you had to tap the paddle twice to change to certain gears.
So I did what I described earlier and it sorted it out quickly.
Sorry I couldn't be more help. Hope you get it sorted.
Good luck

OK thanks thanks will have a play with the rear adjustment when I have 5 mins and see if that sorts it.

OP
OP
junkie_ball

junkie_ball

Ok so i think i've figured it out. Think it was just a case of the battery was very low. Guessing either there wasn't enough power in the system to send the signal or more likely operate the motor. I've charged the battery and now it seems ok again. Heading out on a 50 miler tomorrow so will test and see whats what. I was wondering if this could be feature to warn the rider when out on a ride to let you know if the battery is dying. It kind of make sense to warn the rider that if you don't charge the system soon your going to be stuck in a single gear all the way home. By doing a double click on the particular gears it was could be the difference between being stuck in a super easy or super hard gear rather than a manageable one. Just a thought?

Top Bottom