Did you hate the Charge Spoon too? If so what do you like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

musa

Über Member
Look for one second hand u can get some cheap at 40£

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My bike came with a Selle Italia X1. I found it to be an instrument of intimate and personal torture. I replaced it with a lovely Charge Spoon. If anybody wants it, it's yours for the postage.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks really useful :smile:
A bit more detail ...

Some people are adamant that saddles should be level from nose to rear, and some enforce that using a spirit level. If you look at the shape of an Arione from the side, that means the saddle would slope up towards the nose. I find that very uncomfortable because the nose numbs my genitals! I set my Arione saddle up so the front half is level, which means the back bit that you sit on is slightly raised. That is going to sag slightly when you sit on it anyway. I find that setup is just right - the nose is out of the way, but I do not feel as though I am sliding forward.

The other thing is the fore-aft setting. I set the saddle so my sit bones are on the widest part of the saddle. If I sit too far forwards, even by a cm, I feel as though my weight is not being taken on the bones but on soft tissue, with unpleasant results!

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Specialized toupe suits me, have a charge on the commuter alright for short rides, tried Fizik Arione did not rate that one, as said before you need to try before you buy, there are a few shops where you can do that, it's a case of shopping around.

Troupe for me as well, great saddle
If its good enough for derrick its good enough for me and you. ;)

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
My bike came with a Selle Italia X1. I found it to be an instrument of intimate and personal torture. I replaced it with a lovely Charge Spoon. If anybody wants it, it's yours for the postage.

lol - I have one in my spares drawer for the very same reason…that and an X0 which was even worse!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
lol - I have one in my spares drawer for the very same reason…that and an X0 which was even worse!
Yes. My offer of donating it to an unsuspecting victim was pure wickedness.:evil:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
OP where in London are you ? The Giant store in Twickenham has test saddles you can try although I don't know the T&C of that .

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just checked my 3rd saddle - it is a Specialized Riva, which also gets my blessing if set up properly. I think I slightly prefer the Ariones, but I would have to do a long ride on each type to confirm that.

OP
OP
geekinaseat

geekinaseat

OP where in London are you ? The Giant store in Twickenham has test saddles you can try although I don't know the T&C of that .

Canary Wharf but my sister does live that way so might be worth a visit, my only concern about testing them is I'd need them for a long ride so they would need to be willing to let me have one for the whole day, I don't really know if that's possible or if they are more like Evans "take it around the block" test rides

OP
OP
geekinaseat

geekinaseat

List so far

Try:
Fizik Arione (Ebay goodness)
Specialized Toupe
Specialized Riva
Selle Italia bodymatch
Selle Italia SLR team (Expensive/Hard to find)

Avoid:
Fizik Alliante (Too similar)
Selle Italia X1/X0
Sellotape and 9 inches of Angle Iron (although it's so crazy it just might work)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Canary Wharf but my sister does live that way so might be worth a visit, my only concern about testing them is I'd need them for a long ride so they would need to be willing to let me have one for the whole day, I don't really know if that's possible or if they are more like Evans "take it around the block" test rides
You are absolutely right. You need to sit on it for a good few tens of miles to get a feel for it.

Top Bottom