Did you hate the Charge Spoon too? If so what do you like?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattobrien

Guru
I have an arione R3 on my winter steed and like it. It took about 300 miles for the saddle and my backside to become friends though.

It replaced a Kurve Snake, which is now sitting idly in the garage, another very comfy saddle, but had a tiny bit of wear that I think was causing bibs to bobble slightly.

I have also had a Spesh Romin Evo (@Andrew_Culture) is currently testing that out), a charge spoon which that a friend nicked as it matched his bike, a Spesh Riva currently on the pub bike and a Spesh Phenom (I think) on the MTB and an instrument of torture on the brompton - good for about 2 miles, then too squishy.

I do like my Arione and plan to get an R1 for the summer bike, when the weather is nicer and funds permit.

Will look to part with the Kurve Snake in due course I think.

OP
OP
geekinaseat

geekinaseat

Saddles are strange beasts .... I like the Spoon and I also like the Arione .... as well as a Brooks B17.

There goes my logic!

U

User482

I find Charge Spoons supremely comfortable, but a Specialized Avatar was a weapon of ass destruction. It's taken years of therapy...

So perhaps the OP should try the Specialized.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
And you only ride in velodromes ... :whistle:

I've actually had lights and bottles shaken from my bike by the crappy road surfaces round here.

I love riding my bike with the tyres pumped up hard - on decent roads. The only decent roads round here are the ones being hurriedly resurfaced before the Tour de France peloton gets here in July!
Although we moan about the state of the roads around where we ride, as long as you keep your eyes peeled they ain't to bad, but they could definitely be better, never had anything shaken of the bike though, ^_^

OP
OP
geekinaseat

geekinaseat

Thanks for everyone's input. I've gone for a Fizik Arione for £40 (ebay) I figure what I lose in reselling and postage (if it doesn't turn out to be any good) I've gained against the RRP.

A Spesh Toupe will be next if the Fizik doesn't work out followed by one of the Selle Italia offerings.

The list so far if anyone else is looking for a saddle different enough from the Spoon if they've not gotten on with it:

Try:
Fizik Arione (Ebay goodness)
Specialized Toupe
Specialized Riva
Selle Italia bodymatch
Selle Italia SLR XP/team (Expensive/Hard to find)
Brooks B17 (Styling permitting)

Avoid:
Fizik Alliante (Too similar)
Selle Italia X1/X0
Charge Spoon (Duh!)
Sellotape and 9 inches of Angle Iron (although it's so crazy it just might work)

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Coming a bit late to the party but for what it's worth here is my contribution:

I tried the Spoon and find it gets uncomfy after about 20 miles and unbearable after about 40. Took a risk on a Brooks B17 and although it took quite a while to get used to it I've been able to do much longer distances (did my first century last summer using it). Spa cycles currently show them on sale at £55 on their website.

For the knockabout bike I couldn't justify getting a Brooks so have tried a Spa Nidd. It's not as comfortable as the B17 but (for me) is still better than the Spoon and has been good for my first metric century on that bike.

Last edited:

Mike!

Guru
Spoon gives me numb privates at about 30 miles. Currently on a spec romin evo which so far just hurts! Need more time on that one though to see if my search has ended or continues...

gavgav

Guru
Arione saddles have very radical changes of shape from front to back and are longer than most saddles. I thought my first one was really uncomfortable when I first fitted it but decided that thousands of fans can't be wrong so I persevered.

I discovered that the Arione's setback and angle are critical for my comfort and they were not what I thought I should use when I bought the saddle.

Now I know how to set Arione saddles up to suit me, I find them very comfortable. I have them on 2 of my 3 bikes.

The 3rd bike has a Specialized saddle with a cutout and that is pretty comfy too when set up properly.
:thumbsup: For the specialized. I have one and it's the best I've used so far

OP
OP
geekinaseat

geekinaseat

Ok so my Fizik Arione arrived tonight so I took it out for a spin for an hour...

So far so good! At first I was a little surprised at how little padding it had but once on the bike I just didn't notice the saddle at all. I only covered about 12 miles so it's yet to be properly tested but initial signs are positive.

Top Bottom