different saddle for a fixed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

Who intentionally uses a different saddle for a fixed to on a geared roadbike?

on yesterday's audax my arse was getting a bit sore after about 50-60 miles, using a brooks, despite the fact that an identical brooks on my geared roadbike has been awesomely comfy for more than that distance.

I think it might be partly due to having fairly old crap nike tights, the pad of which has probably worn thin a bit, but maybe also due to:
*spending more time in the saddle on a fixed, as on geared I would stand up to coast, whereas standing up while pedalling quite fast is not so much difficult, but less natural -
* spinning more puts more pressure on the sit bones?

it's not like the saddle's wrong in that it puts too much pressure on the soft tissue, on the contrary, it just feels sore right on the sit bones, like it's too hard.

i'm going to put the fizik arione on and see how i get on with that as it's a slightly softer saddle than the brooks and that softness may be more suited to/what's needed on the fixed. But just wondered if anyone else has found this?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
You need a toupe ;) Seriously though I know where you are coming from as I have a toupe on both bikes and towards the end of my 100 last week my arse was starting to complain. I am thinking of getting my fixed re-sprayed and may change the saddle as the white one probably won't go with the new colour scheme.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
bonj said:
using a brooks, despite the fact that an identical brooks

there's no such thing as an identical when we talk of brooks.
they're made of cows shoulders.
each cow is different as are different parts of the cows shoulder from a single cow.
and all that's only relevant if they're identically mounted

swap the two over to see if you've got a duff/too hard/ too soft one

OP
OP
B

bonj2

hubgearfreak said:
there's no such thing as an identical when we talk of brooks.
they're made of cows shoulders.
each cow is different as are different parts of the cows shoulder from a single cow.
and all that's only relevant if they're identically mounted

swap the two over to see if you've got a duff/too hard/ too soft one

ah, interesting possibility...
you don't reckon a tightening of the screw might be in order? (i've read that's the one thing you shouldn't ever do with a brooks though so probably not)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I do, but thats because my normal saddle is on my other bike, but im going to switch it over soon.
You probably find it less comfy because you should or will move forward on the saddle when your going down hills, and normal saddles arent as comfy when you are there.

RedBike

I brought my first Brooks second-hand. It was terribly uncomfortable. It felt like someone had put all the lumps and bumps in the wrong places. After 2/3 torturous ride it went straight back on ebay. I couldn't manage a ride of over 30mins on it.

A few months ago I talked myself into buying a new Brooks B17. It felt very hard for the first few rides and I was regretting buying it; but after a few rides and few soakings it softened up started to become very comfortable.

Last week I swapped it from one bike to another. It went from arm chair comfortable to feeling very uncomfortable and wrongly shaped. I'm praying it will adapt to my new bike / position.

Perhaps the Brooks on your fixie just needs to adapt / needs adjusting.

Big John

Guru
I get a sore arse too when I'm out on my fixed and after only 20 miles or so, yet I can do a Sunday club run of 100 miles on a geared bike without any problems. I tried re-positioning the seat ,forward, back, changed the angle, nose down, etc but all to no avail. Next step is swapping the saddles to see if that works. Watch this space.

Greenbank

Über Member
For anything under 50 miles it really doesn't matter what I sit on (Selle Italia SLK, Fizik *mumble* or the bog standard thing that came fitted to my hackbike).

For anything over 50 miles I move my Brooks Swallow to the bike I'll be using (whether it'll be fixed or geared). I haven't found the need to use a different saddle for fixed.

Top Bottom