Disc locks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smudge

Veteran
So could work for the low risk café stop situation, but no real advantage over an alarm padlock. The back wheel on my ebike is a PITA to remove, so the thought was if an alarm lock was on the disc it would put off the opportunist thief. Just a thought.

I may work in that incidence and one advantage of most Ebikes is that they're very heavy to carry.
I still wouldn't trust it on its own tho, i always lock my bikes to something, even if they're only left for a few minutes.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Has an E bike ever been stolen?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Has an E bike ever been stolen?

I've seen several reports of stolen ebikes online.

I've also seen ebikes on sale with no charger or 'key lost' which is something of a giveaway.

If you can get over the battery/key problem, an ebike is far more desirable to the type of low lifes that buy nicked stuff than a carbon roadie, even though the roadie might cost more.

My 650b ebike has a Rohloff gear hub, which can be a theft target on its own.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Really? You think a drug addict would target a bike because it has a geared hub?

Not especially, but there are recorded instances of Rohloff hubs being stolen by the simple expedient of nicking the rear wheel, or even snipping all the spokes.

What a drug addict might steal is a separate question, although the answer 'anything' about covers it.

Put it this way, if you and I left our bikes unlocked and unattended in your local High Street, neither would be there very long.

My Octavia also has one:okay:

KN11 RPZ. Interior. 10.JPG

T675Rich

Tbh I don't use one even on my motorbike but then I have a substantial D lock that I use. They will be some deterrent if your bike is heavy enough but I think securing it to something is always preferable. If you do get one make sure you get in the habit of checking for it before you try to go anywhere I dropped a bike and looked like a right plumb when I forgot.

Top Bottom