Disc locks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Anyone use motorbike disc brake locks like these on their bikes?

s-l225.jpg

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
How? and why?

JhnBssll

Veteran
Not sure they'd fit, motorbike discs are significantly bigger. Besides, they rather rely on the weight of the bike to be effective. I'm not sure they'd be particularly useful on a bicycle but would be interested to hear otherwise as most of my bikes have discs :laugh:

T.M.H.N.E.T

Not sure they'd fit, motorbike discs are significantly bigger. Besides, they rather rely on the weight of the bike to be effective. I'm not sure they'd be particularly useful on a bicycle but would be interested to hear otherwise as most of my bikes have discs :laugh:
Quite, they're meant to stop a motorbike being rolled away.. This has no relation to a cycle you can carry

T.M.H.N.E.T

^Bolt extractor tears through the majority of these disc locks faster than picking one. Needless to say they shouldn't be your only defence against theft :smile:

Smudge

Veteran
Circular lock pick fodder.

View attachment 440298

You dont even need a special tool.... just any felt tip or pen of the right circle size will open those circular key locks.
Been known about for many years, so most disc locks now have flat keys. Although any lock can be picked with the right know how.

Drago

Legendary Member
Even ignoring the fact that my granny could carry a bike away, what's to stop Johnny Lightfinger from simply removing the wheel? He walks away with the lot, new brake disc for pennies and he's sorted.

Nice though, sump,y ineffective for bicycles.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

- not a good idea then. Came across the alarmed ones when browsing and thought they might be just the thing for a heavy ebike, maybe with a cable lock too, for café stops.

Smudge

Veteran
- not a good idea then. Came across the alarmed ones when browsing and thought they might be just the thing for a heavy ebike, maybe with a cable lock too, for café stops.

Even an alarmed one is only any good with also locking the bike to something immovable. It will then likely go off while a thief is trying to remove the main lock.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Some, particularly German and Dutch, trekking bikes have a frame lock which is bolted to the seat stays and locks through the rear wheel.

Sometimes known as a pavement or nurses' lock.

Same weaknesses apply, you can't roll the bike but you can lift it.

It does lock the rear wheel to the frame, so could be a line of defence if you were concerned about someone nicking your £1,000 Rohloff gear hub.

Available aftermarket from Abus:

https://www.abus.com/uk/Mobile-Security/Bike-Safety-and-Security/Locks/Frame-Locks/Amparo-4850-Black

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Even an alarmed one is only any good with also locking the bike to something immovable. It will then likely go off while a thief is trying to remove the main lock.
So could work for the low risk café stop situation, but no real advantage over an alarm padlock. The back wheel on my ebike is a PITA to remove, so the thought was if an alarm lock was on the disc it would put off the opportunist thief. Just a thought.

Top Bottom