Dish washer or washing up ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Let's look at a scenario.
You've had half a dozen friends round for dinner, you've shown off your culinary skills, and much wine has been drunk. Everyone else staggers off home. Do you want to put the last few things in the dishwasher that you filled as each course was completed and hit the 'Go' button? Or do you want to get busy with the Fairy liquid?
Ah, but "filled" there hides a lot of crud-scraping and pre-rinsing. You can make any option look simpler by abbreviating its description. Plus, you need to be careful only to use dishwasherable items when making and serving the meal, else you're getting busy with the Fairy anyway, as well as tending an expensive unitasking machine.

Julia9054

Guru
Ah, but "filled" there hides a lot of crud-scraping and pre-rinsing. You can make any option look simpler by abbreviating its description. Plus, you need to be careful only to use dishwasherable items when making and serving the meal, else you're getting busy with the Fairy anyway, as well as tending an expensive unitasking machine.
I don't scrape any more than I would if I was washing up, don't pre rinse, in it all goes.
My knifes go in the dishwasher. No idea if they are decent or not - they still cut stuff.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I don't scrape any more than I would if I was washing up, don't pre rinse, in it all goes.
My knifes go in the dishwasher. No idea if they are decent or not - they still cut stuff.
Same Julia. Scrape excess into the bin in exactly the same way I would if washing up by hand. Never pre rinse anything. All knives go in the dishwasher. Only things that don't are "best" glassware and glasses with any logos on them as they tend to fade over time with repeated dishwashing. I tend to hand wash the best pans but they sometimes go in the dishwasher if I can't be arsed

Stuff like plates are properly clean after dishwashing. Same can't be said for handwashing...water is full of crap and the teatowel is too

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Never pre rinse anything. All knives go in the dishwasher. Only things that don't are "best" glassware and glasses with any logos on them as they tend to fade over time with repeated dishwashing.
..faded aka shotblasted with the crud that wasn't rinsed off the plates...

Stuff like plates are properly clean after dishwashing. Same can't be said for handwashing...water is full of crap and the teatowel is too
Of course the water's full of crap. That's what soap does. The water coming out of the dishwasher won't be clean either. But the teatowel... that shouldn't be... if it is, that means someone can't wash up properly. Probably better they use a dishwasher rather than harm others, but it would be better if they washed up more carefully.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
..faded aka shotblasted with the crud that wasn't rinsed off the plates...

Of course the water's full of crap. That's what soap does. The water coming out of the dishwasher won't be clean either. But the teatowel... that shouldn't be... if it is, that means someone can't wash up properly. Probably better they use a dishwasher rather than harm others, but it would be better if they washed up more carefully.

Modern life is rubbish

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I don't use anything that isn't dishwasherable.
I don't pre-rinse. Scraping takes next to no time, if I need to do it.
Anything else you'd like to tell me about stuff I do?

Julia9054

Guru
It's all nonsese. I just let the dog lick everything clean and stick them back in the cupboard.

Mind you, just like the dishwasher you musn't do this with your good knives
Reminds me of the dogs versus kids argument I used to have with a friend. I always used to say that the dog can't load the dishwasher!

tamiya

Asian household, zero need for machine dishwashers :smile: as the meal table holds more bowls than flat plates; most dishes & cookware are too big to fit upright in washer.

In Australian-designed kitchens, those machines are used for storage - most handy for baking pans & wide items like that.

In the one new kitchen I moved into, builders left cavity for dishwasher... so i filled it with a custom made under bench shelf for microwave and wine bottle racking below it. (Largely teetotal too... but still more useful than a dishwashing machine!)

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It's all nonsese. I just let the dog lick everything clean and stick them back in the cupboard.

Mind you, just like the dishwasher you musn't do this with your good knives

You could do that in our household some days i wipe any sauce or juices left over on the plate with a slice of bread all it would need is a spit and some polish to be ready for the next meal

Top Bottom