Dish washer or washing up ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Even those who like their dishwashers say some stuff has to be rinsed and some stuff has to be washed by hand.

Thus the overall water use for a 'dishwasher user' is what the machine uses plus the amount used by rinsing and hand washing.

It seems to me inevitable the dishwasher household will be using more water to wash up than the household which washes only by hand.

And as has been observed, the hand wash household has the option to use the washing up water on the garden or down the toilet.

Our machine uses 9.5l on its eco cycle
Final sterilizing rinse @63C

I doubt any hand washers match those numbers. 60C is the minimum to sterilize - if you hand wash and do not rinse at high temp you are leaving bacteria on the dishes

No need to pre-rinse - just scrape off the bulky crud

woodbutcher

Veteran
My conscience won't let me get away with the fact that l have, in the past been a dishwasher junkie. I once lived in a very large country pile in southern England. Not my own property but that of the very wealthy lady l lived with. We had two large dishwashers, one had the clean stuff which had previously been washed and the other had the stuff waiting to be washed. This meant that we never actually needed to allocate cupboard space to plates and dishes etc. just fish out from the machine with the clean stuff whatever was needed . Of course that meant we had two complete sets of everything !
So now that l am no longer in that situation, l am trying to make amends :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Another thing I like about hand washing is it's easy to keep the washing vessel - sink or bowl - clean.

Are those of you who use dishwashers confident the inside of the machine - including the bits you cannot see - is as clean as a sink or bowl could be?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Another thing I like about hand washing is it's easy to keep the washing vessel - sink or bowl - clean.

Are those of you who use dishwashers confident the inside of the machine - including the bits you cannot see - is as clean as a sink or bowl could be?
I opened the dishwasher in this rental property yesterday for the first time, to start using it as extra kitchen storage. The inside is pretty manky, and that is the state it was left in by whoever used it for dishwashing before I moved in!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I remember those ads well

The first ones were filmed in a real kitchen in one of the big houses that overlook Richmond Park, off Kingston Hill in Surrey.

I believe the house changed hands mid-series and the new owner didn't want a smelly camera crew around the place twice a year.

The makers found a similar kitchen in a house nearby, but in the end I think they built a set.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Use Fairy Platinum, keeps the machine well cleaned out.

We use these (purchased from Home Bargains etc where they are much cheaper than the big supermarkets).

They clean everything - even baked on stuff like bits of roast potato, lasagne and baked on residue from frying pans. We've never had to pre-clean anything before its put in the dish washer. Everything comes out spot-on. Two of us here and it takes about three days to fill it before we actually use it. Inside of ours is very clean all the time too.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Our machine uses 9.5l on its eco cycle
Final sterilizing rinse @63C

I doubt any hand washers match those numbers. 60C is the minimum to sterilize - if you hand wash and do not rinse at high temp you are leaving bacteria on the dishes
I doubt that bacteria's left on the dishes after I do it. I run the washing water hot (too hot to put hands in - that's why we have brushes and sponge-holders) and wash up quickly.

What is the machine that claims to use only one bowlful of water and not need a pre-rinse, please? And does that eco cycle actually clean everything? If so, maybe it's tolerable, but it's definitely exceptional - most other dishwashers are carp.

Nonethewiser

Hand washing every time. We had a DW in the last house and there's one in this but it never gets used and it's coming out to free up the cupboard space. To be honest we both found the DW's (one a Bosch, one a Zanussi) to be a bit of a pain with things like having to wait until enough dirty plates and crockery had been loaded in to make their use worthwhile, finding that not all the crusty stuff had been removed effectively, etc etc. I find doing the washing up daily strangely therapeutic but I'm sad like that!

Kajjal

Guru
Dishwasher to keep the leader of the house happy with steaming hot cleanness. The last one lasted 15 years and worked very well until it flooded the kitchen.

Top Bottom