Dish washer or washing up ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Dishwasher or wash up by hand?
A bit of both for me. Bung all the crockery and cutlery in the machine (which I actually call the cupwasher because we drink a lot of cups of tea and coffee), but wash the saucepans and oven dishes by hand, thus leaving a tidy kitchen and making Mrs S happy.....

tyred

Legendary Member
Don't see much point in getting a dishwasher.

Just throw the empties away when you've finished lunch and job done :smile:
sail-inn-snack-bar.jpg

We have a slimline DW, but if I were given the choice, I'd ditch it.

I'm not given the choice.

:biggrin:

woodbutcher

Veteran
This may sound a touch obsessive but we don't have a dishwasher so we pre-rinse everything a bowl of hot water and washing up liquid and chuck that down the drain. Then in another bowl of hot water with no wash-up liquid we do a final wash. Then this is decanted into a watering can and when its cool it is used to water the plants in the garden . We started doing this in June and there has been only a tiny amount of rain since then. It just seemed crazy to throw water away in these conditions. Having just read what l have written it does sound a bit bonkers though :wacko:

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
TThen in another bowl of hot water with no wash-up liquid we do a final wash. Then this is decanted into a watering can and when its cool it is used to water the plants in the garden . We started doing this in June and there has been only a tiny amount of rain since then. It just seemed crazy to throw water away in these conditions. Having just read what l have written it does sound a bit bonkers though :wacko:

not at all @woodbutcher we have been putting our washing up fluid on the veg patch since middle of summer to keep it going

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Even those who like their dishwashers say some stuff has to be rinsed and some stuff has to be washed by hand.

Thus the overall water use for a 'dishwasher user' is what the machine uses plus the amount used by rinsing and hand washing.

It seems to me inevitable the dishwasher household will be using more water to wash up than the household which washes only by hand.

And as has been observed, the hand wash household has the option to use the washing up water on the garden or down the toilet.

Top Bottom