Disney's snow white comes under fire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I love Tintin. More the artwork than the storylines, which don't always flow very well. They reflect their time though, as you say.
I agree, it's worth collecting Tintin for the artwork alone, it's incredible. All the art deco styling of vehicles, the dynamic movement cleverly drawn to convey the drama. My daughter is studying the drawing style and tries to copy it, I do think she'll err towards graphic art later in school, that's where her interest seems to lie.

Some stories are better than others, for sure. The Blue Lotus is actually one of my favourites but I'd forgotten that the eponymous "Blue Lotus" itself is an opium den, complete with bodies sprawled on low couches, opium pipes lying next to their lifeless forms. You do have to be ready for some grown up discussions.

Drago

Legendary Member
I was brought up on the Janet and John books.
In some lefty council areas its now Janet and Joan, and childrens literature abour straight, white, male, or (heavens above!) all three, has been has been banned.

It's like Fahrenheit 451, but without the matches (because matches are dangerous, environmentally unsound, a symbol of heterosexual male domination, and have links to slavery).

Drago

Legendary Member
That's complete bollix, and you know it.
Christ on a bike, do I have to stick up a picture of a tongue in a cheek every single time. Are you that obtuse?

In future, any post that I think you may read will henceforth have this explanatory graphic for your benefit:

Last edited:
The frightening thing is that it appears people on here really do think there is some substance to this, unless it's just one big wind up, and I cannot believe a conversation in real life would get past the first comment.

"You heard the latest what people are saying about Snow White"

" I know, what a croc".

"Well actually I think they're right"

"Ha, Ha, Ha, **** off mate you're having a laugh"

End of conversation I would imagine.

yello

In light of the above Poe's law, can someone please offer advice..

Children's literature a good stepping stone for new writers like Meghan Markle to test the waters before writing real books. A children's book inspired by the relationshop between Harry and Archie is sure to appeal to a new generation educated in emotional intelligence and correct ideas.

...because my naive self is unsure. I see a clue in the use of the word 'real' ("real books") but, you know, I don't want to judge.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Gosh, to think how many were force-read these over the years.

All those millions of children, enjoying bad books because Winjim wasn't around to tell them how awful the writing was, how fetid the stories. Kids don't know how lucky they are these days!
I didn't say she didn't enjoy them. Anyway we've thankfully moved on and are now reading Philip Pullman at bedtime.

Is there a reason you’re so easily frightened by a story clearly designed to manufacture outrage? Stop worrying Shep. Nobody will be prising your picture books from your cold dead hands.
I'm sure you know what I meant but just in case, It frightens me (probably not really frightened but you get the gist) that people who have commented on this forum really think Snow White promotes any form of wrong doing from a Male point of view.

yello

Re Disney princesses, I found the film 'Pretty Women' an uneasy watch back in the day. I know the film was riffing on that theme, and loads of people enjoyed it, so maybe I missed a subtext or something. I can't help but wonder if it'd be panned today.

Top Bottom