Disney's snow white comes under fire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
I don't suppose an Elephant's life in a Circus is much fun but Dumbo wasn't a bad film.

C'mon, get a grip.

I haven't seen Pretty Woman, so I wouldn't know. Films, TV, and the media in general, do shape our view of the world though. If they didn't, the advertising industry wouldn't spend billions of pounds and dollars a year selling us a lifestyle rather than just a product.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

My point is that banning or censoring books, comics, Disney films or whatever can stunt our learning about how attitudes can change. I don't think it's good to ban, censor or change historical publications, they should be available to be analysed and discussed, that's the way we learn.

+1

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I don't suppose an Elephant's life in a Circus is much fun but Dumbo wasn't a bad film.

C'mon, get a grip.
It’s an interesting comparison because elephants in UK circuses are no more. So the population has accepted that change without much fuss. And no one has banned Dumbo. The film even depicts some animal cruelty. You don’t need to ban films to get change. I think the crow scene may have been edited because they smoke and it’s seen as a bit racist.

Consent in relationship is the current focus. Here’s hoping that in a few years time the population has moved on again. But no need to ban the films. Just have a sensible discussion.

Last edited:
I haven't seen Pretty Woman, so I wouldn't know. Films, TV, and the media in general, do shape our view of the world though. If they didn't, the advertising industry wouldn't spend billions of pounds and dollars a year selling us a lifestyle rather than just a product.
What's your take on things like Batman, Spiderman etc, they're clearly fantasy but do you think kids will grow up thinking if a radio active spider bites them they'll suddenly be able climb walls and swing from the ceiling?

Just trying to understand an alien thought pattern that's all, not that I think you're an Alien obviously, but you know what I mean.

It’s an interesting comparison because elephants in UK circuses are no more. So the population has accepted that change without much fuss.

Consent in relationship is the current focus. Here’s hoping that in a few years time the population has moved on again.
So you genuinely think that when the average 7 yr old Girl watches Snow White she gets brainwashed into thinking that it's portraying unacceptable male behaviour and any Boys watching will think 'the next time I see a sleeping girl I'll creep up and plant one on her'.

If you do then I'm sorry you live in a far darker World me or my Kids were brought up in.

Re Disney princesses, I found the film 'Pretty Women' an uneasy watch back in the day. I know the film was riffing on that theme, and loads of people enjoyed it, so maybe I missed a subtext or something. I can't help but wonder if it'd be panned today.
Haven't seen that film, but recently I rewatched the wonderous "Pretty Woman" featuring that handsome RIchard Gere and the truly lovely Julia Roberts - both of whom seemed to be having a wonderful time.

The bubble-bath scene was particularly charming.

(I don't think a change to "women" would have improved it - there is only one Julia Roberts ... )

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Why, me of course!

Strange that... I thought it was me? ;)

yello

Haven't seen that film, but recently I rewatched the wonderous "Pretty Woman" featuring that handsome RIchard Gere and the truly lovely Julia Roberts - both of whom seemed to be having a wonderful time.

The bubble-bath scene was particularly charming.

(I don't think a change to "women" would have improved it - there is only one Julia Roberts ... )
Wow, all of that to point out a spelling mistake! ;) (Not the only thing you did, I know)

But I'm pleased you enjoyed a charming movie! Actually, in fairness, as a charming suspension of belief movie, maybe it works. I can't say because I didn't see it like that (sincere youth that I was then)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
When I was a child some of the stuff we read was downright bloodthirsty and nowadays would certainly be banned.
I remember the one about the pet lamb who got ideas above it's station in life and became a nuisance. We were treated to a graphic description of it's journey to the slaughterhouse and the inevitable demise complete with graphic description.
In retrospect the message was quite clear. Know your place and do not get ideas above your station. Political propaganda really.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
You are of course both wrong and in need of re-education. You may freely study my Little Purple Book of Ideas in the provided accomodation facilities.

Brilliant... will there be inspirational and educational work details too? eg breaking rocks, mining salt, growing rice, perhaps building the odd road or railway?...........

AuroraSaab

Veteran
What's your take on things like Batman, Spiderman etc, they're clearly fantasy but do you think kids will grow up thinking if a radio active spider bites them they'll suddenly be able climb walls and swing from the ceiling?

Just trying to understand an alien thought pattern that's all, not that I think you're an Alien obviously, but you know what I mean.

No, I don't think kids will think spiders will give them super powers after watching Spiderman. It's not about one particular film or genre, it's about films and TV relentlessly trotting out limiting stereotypes, eg. a woman's main aim in life should be to find a man to marry, or a man has to be tough.

It's not that specific films are responsible, but the effect of that kind of representation over many years is cumulative. A film I have a lot of affection for is Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House. In retrospect, the character of the black servant is very much a demeaning charicature. I don't think it made me view American black women in a negative way because it was just one film, but if I lived in the US and was bombarded with that kind of stereotype, I expect it would have a negative effect.

Also, it's about widening what is available. It's fine to watch old films/books with male and female stereotypes as long as there are other films/books to choose from too.

Last edited:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
So you genuinely think that when the average 7 yr old Girl watches Snow White she gets brainwashed into thinking that it's portraying unacceptable male behaviour and any Boys watching will think 'the next time I see a sleeping girl I'll creep up and plant one on her'.

If you do then I'm sorry you live in a far darker World me or my Kids were brought up in.
Droplets of water carve their way through rock.

Top Bottom