Diversity in Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes they are in your post for all to see! :hello:

Aww, you feeling oppressed in you white maleness??

For those who have hitherto had privelege, moves towards equality start to feel like oppression.

Funnily (not funny) a female colleague was describing just now how she changed route in her woodland walk home yesterday evening, because a guy walking in the same woods was acting weirdly towards her.

She was the one who had to take evasive action, as a result, but fear of strange men, and their potential for aggression doesn't come out of nowhere does it??

#notallmen isn't of much use if you're the one feeling vulnerable.

It's an everyday story of the restrictions put on women, which a lot of the time you don't even hear about or consider to be anything to do with you.

Poc often feel the same, in similar situations.

The fact that you can't see, or won't acknowledge these problems, is very much part of the problem.

U

User6179

Aww, you feeling oppressed in you white maleness??

For those who have hitherto had privelege, moves towards equality start to feel like oppression.

Funnily (not funny) a female colleague was describing just now how she changed route in her woodland walk home yesterday evening, because a guy walking in the same woods was acting weirdly towards her.

She was the one who had to take evasive action, as a result, but fear of strange men, and their potential for aggression doesn't come out of nowhere does it??

#notallmen isn't of much use if you're the one feeling vulnerable.

It's an everyday story of the restrictions put on women, which a lot of the time you don't even hear about or consider to be anything to do with you.

Poc often feel the same, in similar situations.

The fact that you can't see, or won't acknowledge these problems, is very much part of the problem.

TLDR

U

User6179

You mean preaching to the converted??

Yup that's gonna shift things along nicely.

Or too close to the truth to read even??

Definition of bigot

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

Pale male -

is a colloquial term for white male,

Sometimes tripled up with 'stale' ( to denote older,

it rhymes, it's kinda childish yes, but it's fairly harmless.

No more harmful, or derogatory than young black female.

But who gets greater freedoms, and priveleges, lives with less fear in their daily lives, out of those two groupings??

Hmm

U

User6179

Pale male -

is a colloquial term for white male,

Sometimes tripled up with 'stale' ( to denote older,

it rhymes, it's kinda childish yes, but it's fairly harmless.

No more harmful, or derogatory than young black female.

But who gets greater freedoms, and priveleges, lives with less fear in their daily lives, out of those two groupings??

Hmm

You are so determined to claim victimhood on behalf of minorities so you can claim moral superiority and allow you to act the way you are acting!

Its all about you!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
As a privileged white male cyclist I would like to see more cyclists on the road no matter their gender, colour or creed. I don't think that there are generally overt barriers to cycling as a whole laid down by your average cyclist, although I am aware that attitudes in some clubs and a 'pink it and shrink it' design ethos may have really held back potential cyclists in the past. I don't think that blame for a lack of diversity in cycling can be laid totally on men, it is far more nuanced and complicated than that. What is for sure that as a cyclist human we all should try to stop being daffodils and just get along with each other so that overall the entire human race succeeds.​

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
You are so determined to claim victimhood on behalf of minorities so you can claim moral superiority and allow you to act the way you are acting!

Its all about you!

Acting in what way?? .

I'm not claiming victimhood, here, but I do listen to the experiences and real fears of those who are victimised yes.

And will bring it to people's attention,.

It makes for uncomfortable reading / listening.

To deny it happens, is to deny reality, and allows it to continue more easily, unhindered, that's not something I'm personally comfortable with.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
As a privileged white male cyclist I would like to see more cyclists on the road no matter their gender, colour or creed. I don't think that there are generally overt barriers to cycling as a whole laid down by your average cyclist, although I am aware that attitudes in some clubs and a 'pink it and shrink it' design ethos may have really held back potential cyclists in the past. I don't think that blame for a lack of diversity in cycling can be laid totally on men, it is far more nuanced and complicated than that. What is for sure that as a cyclist human we all should try to stop being daffodils and just get along with each other so that overall the entire human race succeeds.​

curious to know what you mean by daffodils??

Is it a bit like snow-flakes or some such.

Taking things back to the op's original topic , i think he was talking particularly about wanting to get his daughters into , and feeling totally comfortable about cycling yes??

Obviously we would all want that as a chance for them, if they like cycling at all - that preference is not gendered usually, until other factors kick in. .

But we do still hear of women cyclists being afraid to go out by themselves , being harassed when they do - and i certainly know many who wouldn't for instance do what i do - go off for weeks at a time cycling and camping by themselves.

When questioned as to why not - its usually along the lines of fear of harassment - or worse - by dodgy guys ..

They never say oh i'm worried i might get molested by a woman - because we know that doesn't happen does it??

Of course the chances of being bothered by a guy is fairly low as well, but the fear, as much as anything is still there - as a result of it having happened to a few - and that fear in itself is a restrictor.

We know that the real dangers posed are usually more in town or in the home - but that's another matter..

Top Bottom