Divorce

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
This is the worst time of the year for making decisions that could lead to divorce, my suggestion would be to hang in and talk with her. After 30 years I doubt that the grass is greener on the other side of the hill so put some effort into a reconciliation.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Get yourself some proper advice, it'll do you no good to sit around wondering what's going to happen, find out where you stand.

OP
OP
Broughtonblue
This is the worst time of the year for making decisions that could lead to divorce, my suggestion would be to hang in and talk with her. After 30 years I doubt that the grass is greener on the other side of the hill so put some effort into a reconciliation.
I will do everything in my power to work it out, she won't discuss the after affects, both homeless or living in a pokey flat with the kids, she says I'm emotionally blackmailing her!
We live in a nice detached house with a smallish mortgage so both would walk away with about £60k each, but what can that get you now days?

screenman

Legendary Member
I cannot even start to know how you feel, all I can do is hope you get through the bad bits as quick as possible.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Right, listen to me, it's crap, it's gonna be crap and it will probably get crapper before it gets better. And of course it will get better, look at all the divorced people around you... They got through it and moved on.

BUT NOW I'M GONNA BE REALLY HARSH ... Because I think you need to hear this

GET A BACKBONE.

Your problem is that you have lost control and she is calling all the shots. This is why you feel so desperate.

She has moved into the spare room and you have to wait to tell the kids together? Er why? Let me guess... Her idea? Why do you have to tell them together when it is her decision... She can tell them. They are adults they will cope with the news, no matter how upsetting it is. This is just a plot by her to give herself time to sort herself out no doubt, and so she can sleep easier basically by making this look like its a mutual decision which clearly it is not. And now she asks you for a lift into town. What the actual f*k? Do you think that you do not have a right to be angry just because you have kids? They say that depression is just anger without enthusiasm and you know what... They are right. LET ALL HELL loose on her. Tell her to get the f*k out if she doesn't want to be there and stop being so God damn nice. Trust me in this, you will feel a whole lot better when you have stood your ground and she is not going to respect you for being nice, trust me. She has decided to leave, so pack her bags and put them on the doorstep for when she gets home... I'm sure her mate will let her stay.
Then on Monday morning , phone your boss and tell him you'll be late and you'll take it as holiday and get your ass to a solicitor (many do a free consultation). Knowledge is power. Find out where you stand financially before she does. YOU divorce HER not the other way round. And when the solicitor asks if there is any one else, tell him you think so, because as harsh as it is to face, this is probably the reality.

Stop taking her crap and you will still have a broken heart, yes, but you will at least have some self respect which, let me tell you, is worth a lot more. And in the HIGHLY likely scenario that you standing up to her reignites her interest in you, tell her to f*k off back to the stone from under which she crawled.
I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but get angry, it's the best way to pick yourself up, trust me. Been there bought the t shirt and looking back I'd rather hold my head up high than beg someone to stay. Even more so it was when I finally stood up for myself that I started to feel like I'd get through it. When you start taking control you will feel more empowered.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Broughtonblue
Right, listen to me, it's crap, it's gonna be crap and it will probably get crapper before it gets better. And of course it will get better, look at all the divorced people around you... They got through it and moved on.

BUT NOW I'M GONNA BE REALLY HARSH ... Because I think you need to hear this

GET A BACKBONE.

Your problem is that you have lost control and she is calling all the shots. This is why you feel so desperate.

She has moved into the spare room and you have to wait to tell the kids together? Er why? Let me guess... Her idea? Why do you have to tell them together when it is her decision... She can tell them. They are adults they will cope with the news, no matter how upsetting it is. This is just a plot by her to give herself time to sort herself out no doubt, and so she can sleep easier basically by making this look like its a mutual decision which clearly it is not. And now she asks you for a lift into town. What the actual f*k? Do you think that you do not have a right to be angry just because you have kids? They say that depression is just anger without enthusiasm and you know what... They are right. LET ALL HELL loose on her. Tell her to get the f*k out if she doesn't want to be there and stop being so God damn nice. Trust me in this, you will feel a whole lot better when you have stood your ground and she is not going to respect you for being nice, trust me. She has decided to leave, so pack her bags and put them on the doorstep for when she gets home... I'm sure her mate will let her stay.
Then on Monday morning , phone your boss and tell him you'll be late and you'll take it as holiday and get your ass to a solicitor (many do a free consultation). Knowledge is power. Find out where you stand financially before she does. YOU divorce HER not the other way round. And when the solicitor asks if there is any one else, tell him you think so, because as harsh as it is to face, this is probably the reality.

Stop taking her crap and you will still have a broken heart, yes, but you will at least have some self respect which, let me tell you, is worth a lot more. And in the HIGHLY likely scenario that you standing up to her reignites her interest in you, tell her to f*k off back to the stone from under which she crawled.
I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but get angry, it's the best way to pick yourself up, trust me. Been there bought the t shirt and looking back I'd rather hold my head up high that beg someone to stay. Even more so it was when I finally stood up for myself that I started to feel like I'd get through it. When you start taking control you will feel more empowered.
Advice comes in all forms and I will read/listen to it all.
It was actually my idea to tell the kids together, yes they are older and after the initial shock will probably understand it, I just want to be there at the time for them as I have been all their lives. Also I want to hear what answers she gives to the inevitable questions. Like 'where are we supposed to live when the house is sold?' I want to listen to her explaining things like that!

buggi

Bird Saviour
Buggi, if you don't know this person then I really think you should stop the relationship advice and stick with the animal paintings.
He came on here for advice. What's the alternative? Sink into further depression or drink til he's ill? He needs to regain some sort of control, and get some legal advice. I've watched two brothers go through the same thing, and try to be nice and ended up coming out worse for it. Things got better when they started standing up for themselves. It might sound harsh but telling someone time is a great healer won't help them in practical ways. What will help is some proper advice on his financials and having some space to work out what HE wants to do... And he can't have that space while she is occupying it. A few days on her mates sofa might help focus her mind also and if there is a chance for reconciliation, it's more likely to happen when she sees the grass isn't so green on the other side.

TVC

Advice comes in all forms and I will read/listen to it all.
It was actually my idea to tell the kids together, yes they are older and after the initial shock will probably understand it, I just want to be there at the time for them as I have been all their lives. Also I want to hear what answers she gives to the inevitable questions. Like 'where are we supposed to live when the house is sold?' I want to listen to her explaining things like that!
Good.

The idea that "If this is going to happen then it will happen on my terms" is a good stand to take.

Please get legal advice asap. A work collegue got told by his wife last year that she had decided she preferred the bloke down the road. He went straight to a lawyer who shut down all her plans to carve up their life massivly in her favour.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There's a lot of truth in what Buggi advised. If someone decides they don't want to be with you anymore all the pleading in the world isn't going to make a difference, in fact it will probably drive them away a lot quicker. Think of yourself now, I know you've got two lads bit they are both adults and will be completely off hand sooner rather than later. You've got to make sure you don't lose out financially in the split, stand your ground and take everything you're entitled to.

As for giving her a lift so she can go clubbing, there's only one reason people go clubbing and it isn't for the bingo. Tell her to take a taxi.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I was going to post something along the same lines as Buggi but thought maybe your not ready for that yet.
its the way to deal with it im affraid and the quicker you force the issues the quicker You can move on.

avoid getting drunk and please stay away from pill popping as all that do3s is make you feel nothing.

buggi

Bird Saviour
And I am speaking from experience. I hate to admit that I once locked an ex in my house like some nutter coz I didn't want him to leave, crying and begging him not to go. I wish to god someone had shook me up and told me to get a backbone while I slept for 4 months on the settee like a depressed pile of poo, instead of all treading on eggshells around me, so I know exactly how it feels. But it was when I finally found that backbone that he came crawling back... But hey ... Too late for him, and it felt brilliant to tell him where to go.
Seriously, get angry, don't feel you have to be nice to her, and get yourself some legal advice. Tell her to get a bloody taxi!

And I am speaking from experience.
upload_2015-2-14_20-37-5.jpeg

Top Bottom