DIY again, fitting curved acrylic bath panel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Very timely post from the OP as I'm about to move house, and a new bathroom likely on the agenda afterward. the moral for me is get a bath with straight panels. I could easily and inadvertantly made work for myself as the curved end for a shower but had seemed quite sensible, but I can see the snag now.
Believe it or not the bath is pretty level is the floor boards that are not. I'm going to place a level on again and double check :whistle:

drummerbod

Same as my bath. 4 at the top 4 at the bottom. No additional timber required....

upload_2015-11-18_16-0-19.png

Globalti

Legendary Member
That was exactly our thought and we are regretting it. The extra space at the top of the P makes little difference but it makes bathing a less satisfactory experience.

I did the bathroom. I also got the bath tap wrong; the spout sticks out too far while the handles are only just hanging onto their spindles.

P1050172-1.jpg

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

That was exactly our thought and we are regretting it. The extra space at the top of the P makes little difference but it makes bathing a less satisfactory experience.

I did the bathroom. I also got the bath tap wrong; the spout sticks out too far while the handles are only just hanging onto their spindles.

P1050172-1.jpg

Can I just ask why you didn't put the taps to the head of the bath? Looks very good.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Two reasons: all the pipework is in that stud wall to the left whereas the end wall is solid. And the curved screen would have prevented anybody from reaching the taps.

Do you like the shower boards? Much better than tiling.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Here are some more pics of my bathroom project in case you're interested. The WC pan is a Laufen Compact Pro, very compact, hung on a strong frame that I made from 4x2 with a Geberit cistern inside. We wanted to keep the floor clear for cleaning. The water/electric towel rail came from Warm Rooms and should have been a little bigger. Actually that door doesn't hit it; it's foreshortened in the picture. The wash basin was Mrs Gti's chioce and that's good because it's too small and we want to change it. That's a "follow me" hose at the basin end of the bath, controlled by the LH knob on the shower mixer. The mirror has a heat pad behind it; indispensible for steamy bathrooms.

P1050179-1.jpg

P1050174-1.jpg

P1050178.jpg

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Two reasons: all the pipework is in that stud wall to the left whereas the end wall is solid. And the curved screen would have prevented anybody from reaching the taps.

Do you like the shower boards? Much better than tiling.
I don't mind the boards, but we had that in the house we moved into. I would say it saves you time though. When mine is finished I will post up, we've been looking at getting this bathroom done for over 2.5 years now.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Here are some more pics of my bathroom project in case you're interested. The WC pan is a Laufen Compact Pro, very compact, hung on a strong frame that I made from 4x2 with a Geberit cistern inside. We wanted to keep the floor clear for cleaning. The water/electric towel rail came from Warm Rooms and should have been a little bigger. Actually that door doesn't hit it; it's foreshortened in the picture. The wash basin was Mrs Gti's chioce and that's good because it's too small and we want to change it. That's a "follow me" hose at the basin end of the bath, controlled by the LH knob on the shower mixer. The mirror has a heat pad behind it; indispensible for steamy bathrooms.

P1050179-1.jpg

P1050174-1.jpg

P1050178.jpg

This look really good. We couldn't go for the toilet and sink that hung to the wall as it would have required additional work and labour was a factor.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Fit small wooden/plywood blocks (1"- 25mm square) every 6" - 150mm to stop the panel moving inwards and then seal the bottom edge with silicon, this will also 'glue' the bottom edge in place.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What Raleighnut says. We liked our suite, as it was a pale cream, but the builder fitted taps at one end and shower at other - meant leaning over for the ladies to do their hair due to the slope end of the bath.

Still cost a fortune keeping the suite, but I switched the bath round, new taps all round, re-plumbed, fitted new shower, re-tiled then fitted marine ply to the side of the bath and tiled the side the same as the walls. Finally sealed it in after a few months after cecking for leaks.

Then.... got a leak.

Farkin plastic tap 'top hats' - they gave way months later, alowing shower water through. Went to a plumbers mercant and bought copper locking nuts/top hats for the taps.

You learn.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I decorate most rooms each year or at least every two, I have never fitted a curved bath panel, I may well be a nutter though.^_^

Every two. Christ. Look my latest "floating bed" in my daughters room (a bunk with no legs) and the NASA space centre for my son was enough work in one year. :sweat:

screenman

Legendary Member
Every two. Christ. Look my latest "floating bed" in my daughters room (a bunk with no legs) and the NASA space centre for my son was enough work in one year. :sweat:

I even repaint the garage floor every few months and the wall once a year.

Top Bottom