Do Cycle Helmets Pose Any Safety Risks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wear Hi-Viz because i got fed up with the amount of SMIDSY's when I first started cycying to Waterloo in 1990.

J4CKO

I wear one as I might fall off, I have hit my head on concrete without one as a kid and was concussed and left a chunk of scalp on the road, it hurt, had I been wearing a helmet I wouldnt have had a scabby bald patch.

I dont ride differently with one, it can be dangerous out there, I am under no illusions a plastic hat will save me from one of Stobarts finest but sliding on cow shoot is best with one, unless of course the Eddie finds you before you get up.

A child in my sons school died, fell off, head to kerb contact, the inquest said a helmet would in all likelyhood saved his life.

I think a lot of the anti brigade just dont like wearing one, it doesnt look good, is uncomfortable etc and feel slightly under pressure and as such come up with largely anecdotal evidence as to helmets being the work of the devil, its your call, it isnt law but I will continute to keep a layer of deformable foam material between my head and the sky on the off chance it becomes my head and the road.

jimboalee said:
They offer no protection against a 40 tonne artic'.

Nor do they offer protection against a stray Gamma radioactive particle entering the atmosphere.

They do however, protect the wearer against bumping their head on the low doorway lintel at the Bridge Tea Rooms in Bradford on Avon.

Bloody dangerous things lintels!

dondare

Über Member
Anecdotal evidence suggests that helmets offer some protection against buzzard attacks but none against bears.

Part of the problem is the hypocrisy involved in compulsion.

Take the Thudguard as a microcosm of the debate.

We are supposed to accept claims of injury reduction as evidence for compulsion in cycle helmets - yet this is not evidence for the Thudguard to be worn

We are supposed to accept endorsement by paediatricians and safety organisations as evidence for compulsion in cyclists yet it is invalid when produced as evidence for the Thudguard

Oh - and I forgot - non cyclist injuries are either irrelevany or somehow less traumatic.

Feel free to choose, but do read the evidence.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
I wear a helmet, and twice its saved my bonce from more serious damage, but the "only" thing that does worry me, is strangulation..

May sound weird and there's always a thought in my head that if all the odds are against me during an accident then the straps are going to strangle me. Yes yes, I dont know the odds, but its still a possibilty am sure given a random set of unfavourable circumstances.

Actually my worst ever accident involving hitting the back of my head on the pavement was during my p155up days,perhaps I should have worn a crash-hat then.:evil:

Bandini

Gibbyent said:
I do wear one due to (uninformed) family presure arguments.

I sent my mum and grandma (after a few nags) arguments against compulsion (they were aware of the pro).

hackbike 666 said:
Actually my worst ever accident involving hitting the back of my head on the pavement was during my p155up days,perhaps I should have worn a crash-hat then.:biggrin:

60% of all head injuries are alcohol rated - 1% cycle related (Wardlaw BMJ)

You are probably correct!

Top Bottom