Do drivers make better cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicycle

I recently taught my eldest to drive. She was already an experienced and enthusiastic cyclist, but was amazed at how conducting a car on the highway gave her a new and clearer perspective on the dynamics of our traffic system. The subject has been touched upon in other threads, but hasn't had one of its own.

My daughter's words awakened in my dull brain old musings about how motorcyclists make safer drivers as they tend to know how a motorcycle behaves.

There was also a time when I mused similarly about driving lorries and therefore knowing how they might be driven (only rigid-body, but still tall and still making the driver heavily dependent on mirrors).

Similarly, brief stints driving tractors near my in-laws' farm gave some perspective on those lurchy unsteerables.

So... Here's the hypothesis: Being an experienced driver improves my cycling.

I daren't say it makes me a good cyclist, just a less bad one. How do people feel about this notion?

Where are the flak jackets and helmets in this place?

Chris S

Legendary Member
Cyclists who've passed a driving test are familiar with the Highway Code and traffic dynamics. This can only be a good thing.

yello

I think any alternate perspective helps you appreciate the situation of others and makes you more aware - be it cyclist learning to drive or driver taking to the bicycle.

For instance, motorcycling definitely improved my driving. I became more aware of potentials for problems. Equally, being a cyclist, I know how I prefer to be overtaken by cars (for instance) so put that into practice for fellow cyclists when I'm driving.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I recently taught my eldest to drive. She was already an experienced and enthusiastic cyclist, but was amazed at how conducting a car on the highway gave her a new and clearer perspective on the dynamics of our traffic system. The subject has been touched upon in other threads, but hasn't had one of its own.

My daughter's words awakened in my dull brain old musings about how motorcyclists make safer drivers as they tend to know how a motorcycle behaves.

There was also a time when I mused similarly about driving lorries and therefore knowing how they might be driven (only rigid-body, but still tall and still making the driver heavily dependent on mirrors).

Similarly, brief stints driving tractors near my in-laws' farm gave some perspective on those lurchy unsteerables.

So... Here's the hypothesis: Being an experienced driver improves my cycling.

I daren't say it makes me a good cyclist, just a less bad one. How do people feel about this notion?

Where are the flak jackets and helmets in this place?

As a non-driver, I would say this is bollocks.

I have a brain and I know how I am supposed to behave and I try not to hold anyone up or inconvenience other road users where possible, but I am also assertive (without being aggressive).

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Many of my generation went through the same 'rites of passage' that I did - bicycle then motorcycle and finally car. Many of us who travelled that route benefitted greatly from those experiences but some did not. Does cycling round your local estate and tearing across the playing field give you the same depth as packing a few jam butties and a bottle of corporation pop and than going off for the day?

Mad at urage

It probably can do, but years of car-centric thinking (especially after some time cycling badly, or badly trained) can make for worse cyclists (I see a lot of that in 'neo-cyclists' returning to the 'bike after years spent driving) - gutter-hugging, cycling on the pavement etc.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I think driving has added very little to my biking road sense, all in all. But I'm fairly certain that already being an experienced road cyclist when I eventually took my test really helped for driving. So, I think the biggest gain has come from being a cyclist first.

tyred

Legendary Member
It's all about experience and experiencing and ideally being trained in different things will always give a wider view point in any field of life.

mattobrien

Guru
I stopped cycling (first time round) when I passed my driving test and got a car. Cycling was for transport purposes at the time and I had upgraded.

I have now returned to cycling, not for transport purposes, unless the opportunity presents itself... Being a cyclist has made me more considerate to other cyclists while driving.

To be fair, I actually think that there is very little driving done in this country. There is a lot of queuing and motorway piloting, but little actual driving, with the driver scanning the road and landscape for potential hazards, continually checking the road surface for likely grip level, properly positions their vehicle for corners, including gear selection and throttle control.

Too many people use driving purely for transport purposes, rather than being enthusiasts of actual driving, looking to perform better and safer on each outing. I imagine that there may be a split between cyclists, who purely see it as a means for transport and are oblivious to everything else and those who have a passion for it.

All just IMHO, of course

Matt

GrasB

Veteran
Understanding the dynamics of the vehicles you're sharing the road space with makes you a better driver/rider/pilot as you experience things from another perspective. I recently got the opportunity to ride in a HGV cab for a few miles & I knew the blind spots were big but I didn't realize how easy it was to be deceived as to where a vehicle was relative to the lorry.

tyred

Legendary Member
Too many people use driving purely for transport purposes, rather than being enthusiasts of actual driving, looking to perform better and safer on each outing. I imagine that there may be a split between cyclists, who purely see it as a means for transport and are oblivious to everything else and those who have a passion for it.

All just IMHO, of course

Matt

This is very true I think. I've always had a genuine interest in cars and am always looking to improve my driving and although I don't worry too much about the cosmetics of my car, it will always be impeccably maintained mechanically as I like it to be just right. I used to think everyone was like this but I've come to realise that the majority of drivers have no such interest and view their car as another domestic appliance like a TV and will go on using it unless it actually stops and won't know or care if half the light bulbs have blown or that the tyres are worn down to the wire. They won't take much interest in their driving either and blame everyone else if it goes wrong.

akb

Veteran
Since I started cycling, I often get comments from the missus that my driving style has changed for the better. I can sort of see it too; my right foot is a lot more relaxed on the throttle and I find myself to be a much calmer driver. Cheers cycling!

As a non-driver, I would say this is bollocks.
Just out of interest, have you ever studied the Highway Code, such as a driving student has to do for their theory test? This may change your whole outlook on the subject.

col

Legendary Member
I think it does, we can see things from both sides. Also identify and empathise with too, both ways of course.

Matthew Hicks

I cycled a lot before I passed my driving test. Then couldn't afford to drive for four years, so cycled some more. When I finally started driving (and actually learning to drive!) I reckon I became a safer cyclist (to myself) as I appreciated blind spots more and could tell when I'd been seen and when not. And as a driver, I appreciated what might be hiding in blind spots more.

One thing to note; modern cars have much bigger A pillars and larger areas of dashboard to improve safety for occupants. Unfortunately, it makes for much larger areas a cyclist could be hidden in when checking at junctions....

If you ain't seen the whites of their eyes, then get ready to brake!

OP
OP
B

Bicycle

This has been illuminating.

Broad agreement from drivers, mentioning the extent to which guiding more than one vehicle type might have improved their knowledge, ability and awareness of the likely actions of other road users. Also a strong suggestion that cycling improved their driving.

One strongly dissenting voice from a poster who doesn't drive but is in no doubt that some experience driving a car would be of no benefit in terms of cycling on the Highway.

Cripes! That's a tough one.

Top Bottom