Do I need a Venge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

japcreation

I personally can't see the point in buying a bike which serves exactly the same purpose as one you've already got. Get a cross bike, or a gravel bike, or a tourer, or a MTB...
I do already have an MTB, although quite old. 3 road bikes for commuting, training, going faster! This was the basis of my question though, do they all serve the same purpose?

If you want it go out and buy it. Once you get married and start a family then there is less chance of you getting one.
I already have 2 kids

Once she becomes your wife she will not let you buy anything due to "we" needing lots of things you never realised were essential to life. I would just buy it and as it is a good price you shouldn't lose too much on resale if needed.
We've been together for 12 years already and have a great relationship that means I can buy what I want if I can afford it. Cycling is also my only hobby so she supports it. (It's cheaper than when I was into cars!!)

Citius

This was the basis of my question though, do they all serve the same purpose?

You tell me - they are your bikes. If you already have a Tarmac, I can't see the point in buying a Venge as well - why not spend the money on a TT bike, or get some coaching and go racing? In other words, spend it on something that will improve you as a rider, as opposed to a fairly worthless addition to your garage?

e-rider

crappy member
Firstly, hello! This is my first venture into a cycling forum and my first time on any forum for quite some years.

I have been cycling for pleasure and fitness for about 4.5 years now and I started with a Specialized Allez Sport. After 2 years I upgraded to a Tarmac Comp, which I am still riding now and love very much. The opportunity has arisen for me to get a 2015 Venge Pro at a good price, but I am wondering if I will notice any benefit or am I just wasting my money as the Tarmac is such a capable machine?

Thoughts welcomed please.
after 4.5 years it might be time to stop buying boring off-the-shelf bikes aimed at beginners with varying degrees of pocket-deepness and buy a proper bike!

OP
OP
J

japcreation

after 4.5 years it might be time to stop buying boring off-the-shelf bikes aimed at beginners with varying degrees of pocket-deepness and buy a proper bike!
Wow!! I was not expecting such aggression in response to what was a request for advice. Perhaps I should apologise for not having gone down whatever route it is that you have, but I won't. A better way would have been to suggest an alternative rather than just shut down my thoughts. Well done!

Crandoggler

Mate, just buy one. Unfortunately, behind the cloak of a computer screen, there are many who cannot fathom the fact that some people can and want to afford nice things. They will go out of their way to enforce their envious belief that you don't deserve, for whatever reason, the item you want to purchase. Whether that be a bike, car, fishing rod, golf club etc. Dependant on whatever forum you're posting on.

To be quite frank, it's a proper bike, used by proper riders, for proper races.

Why anyone would doubt its integrity as a 'proper' bike is beyond me. Suppose you could go and buy a dogma. I imagine the same green eyed monsters would pop up saying that it's a bag of shoot.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The trouble with asking the opinions of people you don't know is that you might get answers you don't like.

I don't think you'll see any cycling benefits from buying the Venge other than the joy of ownership which may be enough.

At 5000 queens I could probably find a better looking bike for the cash, but I've never been Spesh fan. If you do buy it I hope it brings you unreasonable joy.

Last edited:
@japcreation, you already have a more than decent carbon race bike with near top end drivetrain. Why not upgrade maybe get carbon wheels, go Di etc You can also challenge yourself with this bike by using many of the Strava performance features against the locals in your next of the woods.

The excess cash can be used to get different genre of bike as Citius has suggested or a Ti. The gap that you are closing with the Venge is not much IMHO.

Citius

The Tarmac is a highly capable race bike - the Venge is also a highly capable race bike, but much more unforgiving and a tad heavier. It also looks sh1t, if that helps.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Mate, just buy one. Unfortunately, behind the cloak of a computer screen, there are many who cannot fathom the fact that some people can and want to afford nice things. They will go out of their way to enforce their envious belief that you don't deserve, for whatever reason, the item you want to purchase. Whether that be a bike, car, fishing rod, golf club etc. Dependant on whatever forum you're posting on.

To be quite frank, it's a proper bike, used by proper riders, for proper races.

Why anyone would doubt its integrity as a 'proper' bike is beyond me. Suppose you could go and buy a dogma. I imagine the same green eyed monsters would pop up saying that it's a bag of shoot.
I don't think anybody is doubting the integrity of the Venge as a proper race bike. However, the OP already owns a Tarmac, which is also a proper race bike. They are just designed for different situations. So on a flat stage, a sprinter on a Venge might gain a few seconds over a sprinter on a Tarmac. However, on a mountain stage, a GC rider on a Tarmac would comfortably beat a sprinter on a Venge. It's horses for courses, quite literally.

However, this is all academic really as the OP is not a professional racing cyclist. They wanted to know if they would notice any benefit of the Venge over the Tarmac, and for your average MAMIL on a normal Peak District sportive or whatever, and assuming by benefit they mean faster times and such, the answer is almost certainly no.

If the OP did want to start racing then quite frankly, even the Allez would be good enough for amateur races.

And FWIW the green eyed monster does not come into it. Like the OP, I already have a nice road bike. If I could afford a Venge though, I wouldn't buy one. As I said upthread, I would rather spend the money on doing something nice with my family as ultimately that would make me more fulfilled and happier.

I wish there was more actual meaningful advice on this forum sometimes, and less of the exhortation to spend exorbitant sums of money just for the sake of it. Yeah, nice bikes are nice, but at the end of the day it's just stuff, and stuff don't make you happy.

As always though, YMMV :okay:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Both bikes have different characteristics and perform differently in a given situation............having both in the arsenal of bikes to choose from isnt going to hurt anyone and its a nice choice to have to make on the sunday morning club run.

But im just a nobody who rides a bike

Top Bottom