Do I need a Venge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
That's how accidents happen....loads of mamils wobbling about on Venges and not looking back....
Are you suggesting a venge with mirrors? :smile: if I had a venge, I'd totally roll with mirrors (and a mechanical doping device bwahahahaha).

Edit: fixed typos, clearly something is wrong with the keyboard.

Last edited:

Citius

Maybe they do as they have different dimensions, its certainly some evidence to support it, more than just say .... anecdotal experience of a sample of 1.... :whistle:

Except the dimensions that matter are all identical. Fork rake being a minor exception.

Citius

Why do those specific dimensions matter? Maybe you could illustrate your point with some facts?

Ok - I'll indulge you. There are no other dimensions which affect handling, except maybe chainstay length, which isn't mentioned. You clearly disagree, so maybe you could explain why you disagree?

As for that graph - where's it from?

winjim

Smash the cistern
Can anyone explain the actual difference between a Tarmac and a Venge? I get that one's a sprint bike and one's a distance bike, and I don't believe for a second that anyone below pro level would actually see any change in performance between the two, but what is the actual difference?

Real engineering please, not opinion :okay:

Citius

I'd like to know how only chainstay length (questionably) affects handling?

Not sure what you mean - I only mentioned chainstay length as it isn't listed. So we can't comment on it one way or the other.

Last edited by a moderator:

Citius

Can anyone explain the actual difference between a Tarmac and a Venge? I get that one's a sprint bike and one's a distance bike, and I don't believe for a second that anyone below pro level would actually see any change in performance between the two, but what is the actual difference?

Real engineering please, not opinion :okay:

Dunno about engineering - the Venge is a stiff, unforgiving bike - but then so is the Tarmac to someone who hasn't ridden a bike like that. Real world performances - as ever - are going to depend on who is riding them, and in what conditions. Fundamentally, for me, there is not enough difference between the two to warrant owning both at the same time.

Citius

Now you're just being deliberately obtuse,

Then ask me the question again - and please be clearer, because I have obviously misunderstood what you are asking and why.

Citius

You are effectively saying geometry does not affect handling. I'd like to know how you arrive at this conclusion. Thats all.

I have never said that. I was asking Jowwy how the bikes were different - because he said they 'perform differently in given situations'...I don't think asking him 'why' is particularly unreasonable. Difficult maybe....

e-rider

crappy member
Wow!! I was not expecting such aggression in response to what was a request for advice. Perhaps I should apologise for not having gone down whatever route it is that you have, but I won't. A better way would have been to suggest an alternative rather than just shut down my thoughts. Well done!
There was no aggression in my post.
From your post it appears that you have been cycling for 4.5 years. You started on a specialized bike. You then upgraded to another Specialized bike. Now you are thinking of upgrading again to another specialized bike. Right? Have you ever ridden a bike that isn't a Specialized?
This is exactly the path that the marketing dept at specialized aim for. Not only do you replace the bike frequently (each year if poss) but also to get the customer to buy a more expensive model each time. Walking into a shop and saying "I want that one" and then walking out again. 25 years ago no keen cyclist did that, only beginners. Today, plenty of people do that, and to be fair, it's partly becasue better bikes are available off the shelf. However, wouldn't you prefer something a little more 'special' in terms of quality craftsmanship and individual, rather than mass produced in China and seeing 4 more exactly the same at the next sportive you do?

Shaun

Founder
It would probably help the OP to broaden his horizons if some of you suggested alternative bikes for him to consider for his budget - knowing what he has and what he is looking for in his new steed. :okay:

zizou

Veteran
Firstly, hello! This is my first venture into a cycling forum and my first time on any forum for quite some years.

I have been cycling for pleasure and fitness for about 4.5 years now and I started with a Specialized Allez Sport. After 2 years I upgraded to a Tarmac Comp, which I am still riding now and love very much. The opportunity has arisen for me to get a 2015 Venge Pro at a good price, but I am wondering if I will notice any benefit or am I just wasting my money as the Tarmac is such a capable machine?

Thoughts welcomed please.

You won't notice a huge performance difference between the two, both are very capable bikes. IIRC Sagan chose to ride the Tarmac over the Venge when he won the world championships...however that was the newer VIAS model of the Venge which doesnt seem to be particularly popular amongst the pro racers. However if you can afford it and fancy and new bike (personally i really like having a couple of decent bikes) then far be it for me to put you off

There was no aggression in my post.
From your post it appears that you have been cycling for 4.5 years. You started on a specialized bike. You then upgraded to another Specialized bike. Now you are thinking of upgrading again to another specialized bike. Right? Have you ever ridden a bike that isn't a Specialized?
This is exactly the path that the marketing dept at specialized aim for. Not only do you replace the bike frequently (each year if poss) but also to get the customer to buy a more expensive model each time. Walking into a shop and saying "I want that one" and then walking out again. 25 years ago no keen cyclist did that, only beginners. Today, plenty of people do that, and to be fair, it's partly becasue better bikes are available off the shelf. However, wouldn't you prefer something a little more 'special' in terms of quality craftsmanship and individual, rather than mass produced in China and seeing 4 more exactly the same at the next sportive you do?

You don't have to be so patronising particularly to a new poster who has just joined the forum - it is not particularly welcoming. If they are happy with Specialized, happy with the bikes they have had, happy with the customer service, happy with the price point then what exactly is wrong with wanting another Specialized? If wanting to be a beautiful and unique snowflake at the cafe stop is what drives your purchasing decision then don't get sneery towards someone else falling for marketing.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
It would probably help the OP to broaden his horizons if some of you suggested alternative bikes for him to consider for his budget - knowing what he has and what he is looking for in his new steed. :okay:
that would mean people thinking for themselves shaun - thats never going to happen.....and where will the data come from to prove other posters wrong with their choice of steed :okay:

Top Bottom