Do I need a Venge?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It would probably help the OP to broaden his horizons if some of you suggested alternative bikes for him to consider for his budget - knowing what he has and what he is looking for in his new steed. :okay:
To be fair, the poster has not given a budget and has not expressed a general desire for a new steed. They have been offered a bike and have asked a very specific question about how it compares to the bike they already have. That's why the conversation on this thread might seem somewhat narrow I think.

Shaun

Founder
To be fair, the poster has not given a budget and has not expressed a general desire for a new steed. They have been offered a bike and have asked a very specific question about how it compares to the bike they already have. That's why the conversation on this thread might seem somewhat narrow I think.

Fair point - although there was some suggestion that alternatives might be worth considering as the OP already has a Tarmac, and a quick Google shows a rough budget of around £3,000 for a Specialized Venge Pro 2015 (although @japcreation might be able to pin that down a bit more?). ^_^

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Ok, I'll answer the question!
The marketing hype would have you believe that the Venge and the Tarnic are two completely different bikes built to perform better in certain situations.

Tarmac better climber, less flex under acceleration out of corners, slightly lighter. So, if I was planning a summer trip to the Pyrenees, then the Tarmac would be the one to choose!

Venge more aero, faster in a straight line on flattish terrain etc etc... So, if I wanted to ride solo as fast as I could for as long as I could, then I'd opt for the Venge.

The caveat to the above is that we're really talking about very marginal gains, so, in reality, you'd struggle to notice much of a difference between the two; if you're looking for performance gains, switching from one to the other really would be a waste of money.

But, if you're happy to buy a mean, hard as nails looking Venge, and can afford it, then do so and enjoy it for what it is. Unless of course it's that orange thing, in which case the answer would be no! :smile:

OP
OP
J

japcreation

There was no aggression in my post.
From your post it appears that you have been cycling for 4.5 years. You started on a specialized bike. You then upgraded to another Specialized bike. Now you are thinking of upgrading again to another specialized bike. Right? Have you ever ridden a bike that isn't a Specialized?
This is exactly the path that the marketing dept at specialized aim for. Not only do you replace the bike frequently (each year if poss) but also to get the customer to buy a more expensive model each time. Walking into a shop and saying "I want that one" and then walking out again. 25 years ago no keen cyclist did that, only beginners. Today, plenty of people do that, and to be fair, it's partly becasue better bikes are available off the shelf. However, wouldn't you prefer something a little more 'special' in terms of quality craftsmanship and individual, rather than mass produced in China and seeing 4 more exactly the same at the next sportive you do?
I will elaborate a little more on my choices for you as you are under the impression that I am easily influenced by marketing ploys. When I decided to start cycling (something that I hadn't done for 15 years), I went to my LBS and spoke to them about where to start and sat on a few steeds to see what would fit. Whaddaya know? The Specialized fit best and was within my budget, so that is why I bought it. When I decided to spend some more of my hard earned, I went back the the same LBS and discussed with them the fact that I was looking to upgrade and what direction do they think I should go in as I had mentioned the Venge as well as a Cube Agree GTC SL. They talked me out of the Venge as they said that I would not enjoy the ride as much on our wonderfully maintained roads as it is a little more harsh, so it was really between the Agree and the Tarmac. Test rode both and whaddaya know? The Tarmac felt great (not too surprising given that it is the same frame as the Allez but in carbon). There was no upselling of model or suggestions of getting a Pinarello or Bianchi etc, just good advice.

Fair point - although there was some suggestion that alternatives might be worth considering as the OP already has a Tarmac, and a quick Google shows a rough budget of around £3,000 for a Specialized Venge Pro 2015 (although @japcreation might be able to pin that down a bit more?). ^_^
I have been offered one for £2000 which is the only reason that it is being considered as it seems like a bit of a bargain.

I understand that I don't have the wealth of experience that some of the members on here have to make an informed decision on whether or not it is a bargain!!

Sifting through the replies on here, there appears to be some genuinely helpful opinions and the consensus seems to be that if I want it, buy it, but do not be under the illusion that it will make any difference to my riding.

Tarmac
Specialized-Tarmac.jpg

Venge
Specialized-Venge.jpg

hth x
How does that work, the frames are identical geometries except for the fork rake (which on the tamac is more). How come the wheelbase on both frames is identical :wacko:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I will elaborate a little more on my choices for you as you are under the impression that I am easily influenced by marketing ploys. When I decided to start cycling (something that I hadn't done for 15 years), I went to my LBS and spoke to them about where to start and sat on a few steeds to see what would fit. Whaddaya know? The Specialized fit best and was within my budget, so that is why I bought it. When I decided to spend some more of my hard earned, I went back the the same LBS and discussed with them the fact that I was looking to upgrade and what direction do they think I should go in as I had mentioned the Venge as well as a Cube Agree GTC SL. They talked me out of the Venge as they said that I would not enjoy the ride as much on our wonderfully maintained roads as it is a little more harsh, so it was really between the Agree and the Tarmac. Test rode both and whaddaya know? The Tarmac felt great (not too surprising given that it is the same frame as the Allez but in carbon). There was no upselling of model or suggestions of getting a Pinarello or Bianchi etc, just good advice.

I have been offered one for £2000 which is the only reason that it is being considered as it seems like a bit of a bargain.

I understand that I don't have the wealth of experience that some of the members on here have to make an informed decision on whether or not it is a bargain!!

Sifting through the replies on here, there appears to be some genuinely helpful opinions and the consensus seems to be that if I want it, buy it, but do not be under the illusion that it will make any difference to my riding.

You have to take most things on here with a pinch of salt. There are some on here who do know what there talking about and some ain't got a clue, They only think they do.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Broadside

Guru
How does that work, the frames are identical geometries except for the fork rake (which on the tamac is more). How come the wheelbase on both frames is identical :wacko:

Those dimensions look a bit iffy, doesn't the venge rear wheel shape in to the seat tube? So the chainstay length can't be the same as the Tarmac which has a clear gap between the seat tube and rear wheel.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The fork rake on the tarmac specs is completely wrong according to the specialized website

Fork Rake/Offset 44mm 44mm 44mm 44mm 44mm 44mm - which makes it the same rake/offset as the venge

jowwy

VENGE
The Venge is more than just an aero road bike, it's a fully integrated speed system. With Win-Tunnel-optimized aerodynamics and razor-sharp handling, the Venge defies the wind while keeping you as efficient as possible. Along with the FACT carbon frame and Body Geometry components, the Venge will keep you both fast and comfortable well into your ride. So whether it's a 20-kilometer solo breakaway or sprinting for the county line, the Venge will be there, pushing you to go faster than you ever thought possible.

TARMAC
The Tarmac doesn’t just do one thing well—it does everything exceptionally. Its perfect combination of complete performance has already won all three Grand Tours, and it will take both your racing and riding to the next level. With its Rider-First Engineered™ design that ensures complete performance for every frame size, as well as its seamless bottom bracket and monocoque chainstay design for enhanced power transfer, you’ll be descending faster and climbing harder than you ever thought possible.

jowwy

theres a reason that cav road a venge and nibali road a tarmac...........or is that bollox too

theres a reason kittel chose the venge and not the tarmac......is that bollox too

and it has noting to do with they ride what they are told.....as they have a choice of which one to ride.............

but hey dont let what the pros choose to ride sway you........as its all prob just bollox too

winjim

Smash the cistern
theres a reason that cav road a venge and nibali road a tarmac...........or is that bollox too

theres a reason kittel chose the venge and not the tarmac......is that bollox too

and it has noting to do with they ride what they are told.....as they have a choice of which one to ride.............

but hey dont let what the pros choose to ride sway you........as its all prob just bollox too
So what are the reasons, and how are they applicable to the op?

Citius

Well, let's see now...

The Tarmac has taken all three grand tour titles on GC. That definitely isn't bollox.
The Venge has taken........er....no grand tour titles on GC. That definitely isn't bollox either.
Clearly one bike favours big power sprinters and one favours all-rounders (which may also include sprinting).

What the pros choose to ride is almost certainly worth ignoring - otherwise clearly you would be riding a Venge, as opposed to a flat bar, disk-braked CX bike which is too big for you anyway :laugh:

jowwy

Well, let's see now...

The Tarmac has taken all three grand tour titles on GC. That definitely isn't bollox.
The Venge has taken........er....no grand tour titles on GC. That definitely isn't bollox either.
Clearly one bike favours big power sprinters and one favours all-rounders (which may also include sprinting).

What the pros choose to ride is almost certainly worth ignoring - otherwise clearly you would be riding a Venge, as opposed to a flat bar, disk-braked CX bike which is too big for you anyway :laugh:
so you agree that one reacts differently in given situations...........

and my flatbar cx is spot on size wise as i designed the frame and size relative to my proportions.........

ive also owned a venge and a tarmac and also a shiv

Top Bottom