Do the pads in our cycling shorts lose their padding affect if worn around the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I was more thinking you shouldn't obsessively sniff your own (or anyone else's) pad^_^

Time for a reappearance i think.xx(
377.png

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I wear mine in bed - the girlfriend loves it!
why?

I don't see the problem, I'm waiting to catch a flight to Amsterdam then Poland and I'm sat at the airport in my cycling shorts. I often fly in my best bibed tights and cleated shoes. I'm careful to select the used ones so I can scratch and sniff the crotch whilst aboard the flight and drift off into a sweat enduced dream of yesterday's ride.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
To keep the sweaty, bacteria ridden fabric away from your skin I suggest you wear the padded shorts over your trousers when you pop down the pub.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The thing is does sitting down on a flat chair kind of squash the padding more than on a bike saddle?
No, it only misshapes it and puts pressure on the wrong bits of your bum because it's designed for sitting on a hard saddle. It's similar to sitting on a deep gel saddle in padded shorts - the pressure's spread a bit more but it's increased in all the wrong places.

I only wear mine on the bike , but each to their own !
Have you perfected dismount-and-remove-shorts as a single action then? :eek:

If you're heading out to the pub or settling in at home for the full evening in dry, fresh cycling shorts however, I'd respectfully suggest you're heading towards the "Saville" end of the eccentricity scale.
So you'd set out to ride to the pub in wet, dirty cycling shorts? :eek: and where do you keep them between the last ride and going to the pub?

Same as any underwear...
But more so, as there's far more material for it to fester in.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
So you'd set out to ride to the pub in wet, dirty cycling shorts? :eek:

If I set out to go to the pub, then I'll be in jeans like any other normal person. If I'm in a pub in damp cycling shorts, it's because I've been riding half the day and I'm having a quick drink before i get to my house.

Where do I keep them between the last ride and going to the pub? In the washing pile, again, like any normal person.

subaqua

What’s the point
The mechanical structure of the padding is designed to withstand a twisting for of 69 lb/ft and slightly for on sideways waft, now the displacement required when sitting on say a flat chair is only 37.5 lb/ft This means that over a sustained period of maybe 92 minutes some thinning of the cycosymatic piddle storing padding may occur. In laboratory tests it has been found that the padding will return to its natural state of paddiness if washed at 37.2 degrees.

The numbers are different for softer furnishings such as pub seats, unfortunately on this occasion rather than the padding flattening the waistband has been found to tighten.

what do they say about stats. 97% are made up :smile:

Top Bottom