Do the pads in our cycling shorts lose their padding affect if worn around the house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
That's my question. I like to wear my cycling shorts, provided they aren't wet or sweaty, around the house after a ride. I've even worn them down the pub:whistle:. The thing is does sitting down on a flat chair kind of squash the padding more than on a bike saddle?

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4507361, member: 9609"]you really have flipped[/QUOTE]

:laugh: ^_^ Yes i know!:biggrin:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I like to wear my shorts because they give me a bit of padding when sat on these rock hard stand chairs. I have a bony bum. To think i once got to the final of Accrington's Rear Of The Year!:whistle:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
If your pad isn't sweaty after a ride, it wasn't a ride; I'm not sure I've ever retired to the pub or the sitting room in dry, comfortable cycling shorts. Sinking a cold one in sweaty kit after a ride looks effortlessly cool.

If you're heading out to the pub or settling in at home for the full evening in dry, fresh cycling shorts however, I'd respectfully suggest you're heading towards the "Saville" end of the eccentricity scale.

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
The mechanical structure of the padding is designed to withstand a twisting for of 69 lb/ft and slightly for on sideways waft, now the displacement required when sitting on say a flat chair is only 37.5 lb/ft This means that over a sustained period of maybe 92 minutes some thinning of the cycosymatic piddle storing padding may occur. In laboratory tests it has been found that the padding will return to its natural state of paddiness if washed at 37.2 degrees.

The numbers are different for softer furnishings such as pub seats, unfortunately on this occasion rather than the padding flattening the waistband has been found to tighten.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I like to wear my shorts because they give me a bit of padding when sat on these rock hard stand chairs. I have a bony bum. To think i once got to the final of Accrington's Rear Of The Year!:whistle:
A couple of alternatives:
A) Get to the pub earlier so that you can bag a comfy chair.
B) Change pub.
^_^

screenman

Legendary Member
No you don't understand. The un-comfy chairs are here at home! I'm sat on a pillow as i post.:unsure:

Is it possible that maybe the furniture was not a good purchase. I think Lidl sometimes do bed pillow for £5 could you not tape one of those to the chair, this would avoid walking around the house in sweaty shorts.

What do the others in your house think.

Top Bottom