Do you guys confront stupid drivers and if so why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
One wrong move and the driver gets my 'stern look'.
Sometimes I'll flip them the bird.

That'll teach'em.

bpsmith

Veteran
Got deliberately run over by a driver 6 months ago, as a result of simply asking if he could be more careful with his door.

Since then, I never get involved in any form of confrontation, however small.

I just smile wildly when it happens. It’s amazing how it takes the tension away...and many a driver waving to apologize when they spot it too. My hope is that they remember that and think next time, but not sure that happens with many.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Generally don't engage with them - while I'm reasonably confident in my abilities to defend myself, I'd rather not get involved in fisticuffs at the roadside.
If it gets that far, the absolute best outcome you can hope for is explaining yourself to the magistrates...

Occasionally a particularly stupid pass might get a WTF wave, but I try to keep that as my limit.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
One wrong move and the driver gets my 'stern look'.
Sometimes I'll flip them the bird.

That'll teach'em.
I do something similar, but I've always called it the Paddington Bear Hard Stare - although it's not really effective as it's usually from behind darkened photochromic glasses!

Instead of flipping the bird, I usually do the dismissive slow shake of the head accompanied by a deep sigh

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Got deliberately run over by a driver 6 months ago, as a result of simply asking if he could be more careful with his door.

Since then, I never get involved in any form of confrontation, however small.
Yikes - I'm glad that you are still with us!

I try to avoid confrontation with idiot drivers but occasionally get a rush of blood to the head when somebody's driving threatens me. One such occasion was when an aggressive driver forced his way past me on this singletrack railway bridge.

Hallroyd Rd lights.jpg

There is a sharp left bend immediately after the bridge which drivers have to brake for so I tend to be quicker down the hill than they are. The driver would not have been held up by me, but no, he had to effectively bulldoze me out of his way. He just managed to squeeze past as I reached the pinch point causing me to have a near miss with the kerb on the left. :cursing:

I'm afraid that I called him a rude name as he went by and 'gave him the finger'. He braked hard and I saw his reversing lights come on, which made me think that he intended to reverse back over me. It was certainly very intimidating...

I definitely was not very sensible in the way that I handled it. I straddled my bike and indicated that if he wanted trouble then he should get out of his car and come back and he would get it

I was already thinking that I was being rather stupid. He might crash his car into me, or jump out wielding a weapon.

Fortunately, he thought better of it and drove on! Better not to give them an excuse for violence ... :whistle:

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

[QUOTE 5226234, member: 9609"]I had an incident yesterday in Hartlepool, as a pedestrian (not as a cyclist) we were crossing a road in front of a car waiting at traffic lights, all of a sudden it sped forwards coming pretty close, I turned and started at the driver, he suddenly braked, window come down "WTF are you looking at you stupid c**t?" I asked if he was trying to run us over, he then informed me "the lights have turned to green you thick stupid f*****g c**t". I made a few comments on his driving and he threatened me before wheel spinning off. (presumably a green light must mean you can drive over any pedestrians in your way)?

some people just become completely mental when driving, its like its just all too much for their tiny little brains to cope with. best never to get involved really. Not sure if I was in that much danger with this one, he seemed so big I doubt he would have been able to get out of his car, by the size of him I was surprised he had got in it. Not big as in scary big, more super sized big with too many full-english-breakfasts. I do like Hartlepool but its as rough as a badgers .....[/QUOTE]

I get that instance even if it's green aren't you supposed to give way to pedestrians that are still crossing. Was he british but even if he wasn't i'm pretty sure all (if not most) countries your supposed to give way to pedestrians.

@Anyway most drivers are decent but i just don't see the point because as @Drago said. If you confront them most of the time it would go wrong and in my opinion could lead into road rage or illegal stuff. You never know when a person could be armed (Like with a knife etc..) or not.

The only time i would confront a driver would be if they kept on doing it or in a emergency.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd a driver constantly trying to overtake on the face of oncoming traffic. Slow moving on a narrow tight corner.

Got ahead, then realised he was now behind. Off the shoulder came the chain & lock, leaving him in no doubt I'd be using it if he tried again. He dropped back leaving me to carry on my way.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I can't remember ever having an actual confrontation with a driver, either as a cyclist or as a driver myself but I have on occasions shouted "Watch out!" at drivers who I thought hadn't seen me. In the car the horn would get used for the same reason.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I very rarely get close passes and when I do I dont make any gestures. I may think my own thoughts about the driver. Even then they are very fleeting.

I have seen cyclists gesticulating, shouting and swearing after cars. They look like total dicks. Its why I dont bother doing it. It may even be the reaction the driver is aiming for.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've mastered the art of muttering obscenities under my breath and carrying on. It always cheers me up, and potential aggressors are none the wiser and have no reason to stop and run me over/stab me/one punch kill me/cause me to have a heart attack/insert other unpleasant and utterly pointless outcome.

Top Bottom