Do you guys confront stupid drivers and if so why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
I had a great opportunity to confront a stupid driver this week.

But as I was lying on the road at the time I couldn't be bothered replying when she said " I thought he would have stopped "

The fact I was on a main road , and she was driving over give way lines coming out a car park didn't seem to be relevant to her.

I saw her again later as purely by coincidence we both went to the local police station at the same time , to report a traffic incident.

It was only 7 hours after the event.
My excuse was the queue at A&E and a trip to the repair shop.
No idea what kept her.

All I said was " thanks for coming in " and left.
She actually looked annoyed with me.

OP
OP
Randombiker9

Randombiker9

I know but a couple of weeks ago when i had a very close call with a car trying to do a U turn? (I dunno how U turn rules work here) but i was going straight he was a side road which just had a marking of left arrow (Meaning turning left) and as the traffic lights turned green (I was in middle of the lane) he pulled out straight blocking three lanes and then suddenly slammed his brakes on just because i slowed down before he missed me by a couple of inches as the only . thing i could do was go around him to avoid hitting him. He would of caused an accident if the 1. lights hadn't been red. 2. it happened closer to the roundabout (as this was just before a roundabout. 3. he could of caused an accident to other veichles as well.

(I didn't catch his number plate it all i remember it was a grey car)

I wanted to say what the hell you doing but i decided not to. What would u guys of done :smile:

What are the laws on u turns?

(Looked on google maps the side road he was on and the lane and there was blue sign saying left and then no sign saying no right turn and a road marking with left arrow.

So i guess he was distracted)

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I had a great opportunity to confront a stupid driver this week.

But as I was lying on the road at the time I couldn't be bothered replying when she said " I thought he would have stopped "

The fact I was on a main road , and she was driving over give way lines coming out a car park didn't seem to be relevant to her.

I saw her again later as purely by coincidence we both went to the local kpolice station at the same time , to report a traffic incident.

It was only 7 hours after the event.
My excuse was the queue at A&E and a trip to the repair shop.
No idea what kept her.

All I said was " thanks for coming in " and left.
She actually looked annoyed with me.
Hope you and your bike are okay.

winjim

Smash the cistern
A quick Google shows plenty of people, many of them cyclists, who've popped their clogs during road rage.

And that's the point - Noye was a gangster loon, and you've know way of knowing if the person you've just flipped the bird to is the same.
The other side of the coin is, and I have mentioned this before, that I used to be quite a shouty cyclist, but only at those people I wasn't physically afraid of. I realised that just made me a bully so I stopped. Now I'm a zen like vision of serenity and much more relaxed and happy for it.

classic33

Leg End Member
Bit sore , few stitches in my arm , but I have done about 100 miles since it happened. Cycling is more comfortable than walking just now.

New back wheel fitted, gear hanger and handlebar tape on order.

Lawyer on the case.
Best o'luck, and heal well.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
We were kind of on about this down the pub last night. A bloke who's expressed anti cyclist views quite often in the past got on about his latest confrontation with a cyclist. When i say confrontation i mean in hs head. He said that he saw 3 cyclists "jump the red light and mount the pavement". When i quizzed him he changed it a little. He said he was on the other side of the road and saw them do it. Ok,let's get to the point of my post. He then said that if he'd been driving he'd probably have either driven at them or headed them off and gave them a mouthful of abuse. This rant was followed by the usual "and you f..k.rs don't pay road tax,blah blah":cursing:. I think some cyclist one day is going to give this nobber a bit of a slap.:boxing: He's retired and obviously got f...k all to do all day apart from look for trouble.:rolleyes:

Alan O

Über Member
While everyone has been recounting tales of bad encounters with motorists, I've been pleasantly surprised by many good reactions to me as a cyclist recently. I've seen a couple of cases of poor overtaking when riding in a group, but I keep seeing motorists holding back for me, waving me on, and generally being considerate - I even had one yesterday helpfully flashing me to let me know I was going the wrong way on a one-way street :blush: (I was, and had completely missed it!)

And one day in the week I had an oncoming black cab driver hold back at a narrow point and wave me on!

The trouble is, I'm becoming more and more suspicious that they're all trying to lull me into a false sense of security, and even now there's a bunch of them waiting round the corner to pounce.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I don't tend to confront, but sometimes do lose it.
I do however to try to give a thumbs up or friendly wave, to considerate motorists. Part of me thinks that if those showing consideration can be encouraged, then just maybe if they see nobber cyclist behaviour, they will not paint us all with the same brush and might on some occasion stand up for us.

MikeG

Guru
Extremely politely on the couple of occasions it's happened. "You just about bumped my elbow when you passed me back there. Please, we need a little more room than that". I think of it as education rather than a chance to vent outrage. People don't react well to anger.

Johnno260

Veteran
I don’t what’s the point

Last time I confronted an idiot was cycle to work last year.

I had to drive as kids and nursery, but coming home there was a young cyclist in front of me, very nervous and wobbling a lot, oncoming traffic so I couldn’t overtake safely which is fine I can wait.

Prat behind me couldn’t wait, he was honking shouting etc, I pulled over to let the moron pass, but no he follows me into the lay-by, and tells me it’s idiots like me that clog the roads, I retorted it’s morons like you that kill people, I know which category I would prefer to be in.

He goes to step out the car, so I said think about what you’re about to do old man, I don’t want to make you a statistic, yes I had lost my temper at this point.

I then drove off with him tailgating me for miles.

I didn’t help for sure, but he was driving like a complete prat, least the young cyclist got away from him.

Since then either on 4 or 2 wheels I don’t bother, too many psychos, and I have been threatened with a car wheel wrench as well before it’s just not worth it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom